Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent Lok

Old 10-24-2006, 03:39 PM

Default Scent Lok

Okay heres the problem. We own a high fence ranch which we do not want to hunt this year because we are putting exotics in it. The ranch we 'can' hunt on the other hand is around 15 miles away from our house, in the next county over. I have a full set of Scent-Lok Savanah, including gloves. Whenever I go bowhunting, the deer can still smell me. I hunt in a 15' hightripod stand built by Big Game Treestands. Very little oak trees and all mesquites do not allow me to hunt from a tree stand. What can I do to raise the chances that a deer won't wind me, especially since we have to drive to get to the other ranch. Also, is there a way to get the scent out of the outside of the scent lok outfit without destroying the carbon?
Old 10-24-2006, 04:37 PM

Default RE: Scent Lok

anyone there?
Old 10-24-2006, 05:27 PM

I was getting ready to write something really rude but the christian in me will not allow me to do so. I immediately got disgusted after the "high fence sentence". Sorry I can't help you.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hunting the wind is the best bet. I'm one of those that remains skeptical about the value of Scent Lok suits.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

If you have the wind right, you dont need that stuff. I have had deer 10 feet from me when turkey hunting and she never knew i was there. I just was my hunting clothes in baking soda befor the season and keep them from any type of bad sent type stuff; ie; smoke, cologne, household cleaners, ect.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

i hope your ranch fails
Old 10-24-2006, 11:21 PM

You think the tames ones are pretty smart?? Buddy you should try getting downwind of a wild deer sometime, they won't come running to the feed trough when they get a whiff of you.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:57 AM

Take the fences down.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Build an angled fence (in cattle country we call that a trap)along the outside fence that leads to a corral, maybe 50 x 50. Herd the deer into the trap and into the corraland close the gate then scent won't matter.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

isatrack, that's hilarious!! I'm new to the forums but I've been hunting 20+ years on PUBLIC LAND and I agree w/everyone else, take down the fences.

But in reply to your question: I don't buy into all the Scent Lok technology. I too have had countless deer less than 10 yards from me before and didn't have any $400 Scent Lok parka on... Play the wind and don't put on your Old Spice before you go into the woods.

Quick Reply: Scent Lok

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.