Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What Are Your Tag Limits and Do You Fill Them >

What Are Your Tag Limits and Do You Fill Them

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What Are Your Tag Limits and Do You Fill Them

Old 10-22-2006, 08:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What Are Your Tag Limits and Do You Fill Them

The WMA I hunt in FL is: Daily 2, Possession 4, from Nov.11 to Jan.7. All bucks must have atleastone antler 5" above hairline. No tags on bucks. Does by awarded permit only or Property adjoining 600 acres or more.

Rebel Hog..

I live close to Rebel...same rules for me too.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Tigerfan
I see no reason to shoot a 1.5 year old buck or a 2 1/2 old buck. I would much rather shoot a 3.5 and older buck and the more young bucks you let walk the more older bucks you have roaming around.
I agree with this statement, but according to DNR, the buck on my avatar was 2.5yrs old. He may have gone an extra year, but either way, I couldn't pass on him unless I knew I was the only one hunting on the property. I really would have liked to see his mass in another year or two! Either way, I agree that any deer that looks like it has further potential and isn't a wall hanger should be passed up if you want some greater potential on the property you hunt. That being said, I don't have a problem with people shooting whatever is legal if they are only meat hunting and or are new to the sport.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:19 AM

That being said, I don't have a problem with people shooting whatever is legal if they are only meat hunting and or are new to the sport.
I agree with that, I need to clarify my statement. I see no need to shoot a young buck if you see plenty of other deer. i.e. does, older bucks. I have the luxury of having plenty of does to shoot at every year and I know that not everyone has that luxury. I didn't growing up and basically had to shoot what was available at the time (which was not much). I am on a lease now and we mange our deer herd pretty strictly. As far as your deer in your avatar, I would have shot him with no question. If I am willing to pay the $350 on a shoulder mount then I am willing to shoot the deer. We have a 13" 3 on one side rule on our club. If it has 3 countable points on one side and is it 13" wide or 13" long (mainbeam) we are allowed to harvest it. I myself am stricter than that, like I said earlier it has to be a mountable buck in my eyes before I will shoot it.

Please understand that I do not have 1 buck on my wall and the biggest buck I have ever killed was a 1.5 year old 5 point 6 years ago. I have seen bigger and older deer since then but, they would not go on my wall, so I shot a doe instead.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:19 AM

Holy crap, hunting season could get REALLY expensive for some of you folk! LOL [&:]

Indiana checking in here, I think my husband figured it out at 16 or something like that, of course, that was counting drawn hunts in state parks and whatnot. I think the basics are, 1 buck no matter what season, that's our fairly recent OBR (one buck rule) and two antlerless. I could be off, I don't know. Unless someone asks us to get a deer for them, we only take what we need as a family of 4 (soon to be 5). 3 deer a year is plenty for us, gives us extra to make sausage, slim jims, jerky, and brats, plus the ground venison and roasts we need for our normal dinners. I know that hands down, I can take one buck and two does... no "special" tags, no drawn hunts, just basic regulations on limits. We have the one buck rule, then you can buy another license, for antlerless only, then you can buy another antlerless bonus tag.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

In Saskatchewan, Canada for the majority of the province you can harvest 1 - either-sex whitetail per year. In the forest fringe, forest and city wildlife zones you can also harvest 1 anterless whitetail deer. In the forest zones only residents canuse a second either-sex whitetail tag.

We also have over the counter mule deer archery, draw mule deer and CWD zones.

My either-sex tags are reserved for a mature buck or I will take a doe instead if need the meat. I don't rely solely on deer for my venison though, hunt elk yearly and moose regularily but I givemeat to family and friends who don't/can't hunt but enjoy the meat, so I usually fill a good portion of my deer tags.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:16 AM

Jersey, for shotgun at least, is two deer a day. Two bucks total, unlimited does. And I didn't see a single deer when I started last season. Oh well, I still have my '06 license so hopefully I'll fill up a couple weeks around Christmas with some hunting.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Dominant Buck

In MD in Cecil County

HEY !!!! I was raised in Cecil County , Maryland. I hunted there for 22 years. Small world.
c7
Old 10-22-2006, 01:17 PM

IOWA:

Deer (Bow)
Oct. 1 - Dec. 1 and
Dec. 18 - Jan. 10, 2007
One deer
per license
One deer
per license

Deer (Muzzleloader)
Oct. 14 - Oct. 22* (early) or
Dec. 18 - Jan. 10, 2007 (late)

Youth Deer (Age 12-15)+[/align]and Severely Disabled[/align]
Sept. 16 - Oct. 1

Deer (Shotgun)
Dec. 2 - 6 (first) or
Dec. 9 - Dec. 17 (second)

November Antlerless-Only Deer
Nov. 24 - 26

Late Antlerless Deer (statewide)
Jan. 11 - 21, 2007

Late Antlerless Deer Extension (select southern Iowa counties, centerfire rifles >0.24 cal. permitted. Max. capacity 6 rounds in the chamber and magazine combined for semi-automatic rifles)#*
Jan. 15 - 21, 2007

Old 10-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Oklahoma you can kill 6 deer, no more than 3 bucks and no more than 2 deer may be killed with a firearm.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:02 AM
Fork Horn

During Missouri's rifle season, in Osage County, you can kill up to three deer, only one buck with at least four points on one side. Some counties are different.

Quick Reply: What Are Your Tag Limits and Do You Fill Them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.