Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

WOUNDED DEER!

Old 11-13-2002, 08:15 PM

Default WOUNDED DEER!

For any members out there who have nailed a deer but found it still trying to get away or moveing. Not to speak of the eyes looking at you and the sounds they can make.

If you have experienced this, what has been your thoughts when dealing with having to take the final shot. Do you take it in the heart area or the head?

Did you feel pretty bad seeing the deer in pain and suffering, and did it make you even more cautious on your next opportunity to take a deer.

And why was the shot placed bad in the first place?

Thanks.

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 11-13-2002, 08:24 PM

Default RE: WOUNDED DEER!

Jred, natural death (old age, starvation) can be quite unpleasant for a deer. A bullet is fairly quick, in the overall scheme of things. Use an adequate gun, place your shot well, give a few minutes for the deer to shake off this mortal coil, then collect your venison. Know your limits, make a good shot and feel no guilt.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Practice. Know your limits. Do the best you can.

Old 11-13-2002, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Practice. Know your limits. Do the best you can.

Old 11-13-2002, 08:39 PM
XTP

I have only had to do this once.....a large buck that just wouldn't quit.The shot wasn't bad,he went down practically in his tracks...but when I got up to him,he was still alive.The look he gave me was not a cry for mercy.....it was more like.."if I could get up...I'd shove these horns up your...",I did give a final shot on that one.If any hunter is faced with this situation it is your responsibility to finish what you started as quickly as possible....you owe it to the animal.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

HAd to do it one time, the buck too the shot right through the boiler maker and was still alive, so one more shot finished him off, after that I crouched down beside it and said "Thanks"
Old 11-13-2002, 10:22 PM

I have'nt personally have had to deal with the sort of discription that I mentioned, however last year I took a deer and watch it run only a few yard and kick around for about 15 minutes.

Though it did bother me to a certain exstent, I was O.K. with the results. But, It made me think about if I had to go and deal with it being still alive and this thought became more vivid after hearing some stories of these sort of accounts, that I did describe.

Some of these stories came from some people that have hunted for a long time. At seeing these animals in this state bothered them. I quess that's good, this means that these people cared about how the deer parished.

Thanks for the input so far!

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 11-14-2002, 06:05 AM

I have normally in the past just used a knive and cut the deers throat if they still but alive. I did walk up to one several years ago that was still kicking around after a shot behind the shoulders just a little high. I shot her in the head with my .45 pistol to put her out of her misery. I just want the quickest end possible.

Later
Gone_Huntin
Old 11-14-2002, 06:31 AM

Why does painful death cause us to cringe? If you do the best you can to prevent suffering then you've done all you can. Death is an ugly thing but we live from it.

Nahum 1:7
Old 11-14-2002, 07:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I have had that happen, and yes it is very unpleasent. I carry a side arm when I hunt so when this happened I put the bullet in the head. I would much rather the deer be expired when I get to it. It is unpleasent but it comes with the game. I have let this experience teach me to take better shot selections. I only take shots now that I know will cause quick death. I have let some good deer walk that I was a little iffy about taking a shot at.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" Martin Luther King Jr.

Quick Reply: WOUNDED DEER!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.