Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent question

Old 10-16-2006, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Scent question

Someone told me the other day that you are less likely to be smelled during the morning because the ground is heating up and that warm air being released lifts your scent up. I'm having a hard time believing this, if you've ever taken chemistry you know that an object releases heat when it is cooling off, not when it is getting warmer. I would think the evening would be better. Either way, the wind can swirl around and do all kinds of funny things to carry your scent back down. Opinions?
Old 10-16-2006, 01:41 PM

Default RE: Scent question

dont believe that for a one min.....thats all i have to say....you know...
Old 10-16-2006, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, that is correct.

Inthe morning as the air is slowly heated, the air tends to rise, taking your scent with it.

Contrary, in the afternoon, before sunset, as the day cools down, the opposite happens.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:09 PM

When the ground is warming up the heat is going into the ground. when the ground begins to cool down the heat is leaving the ground. its all about transfer of energy.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: treestandstealth

When the ground is warming up the heat is going into the ground. when the ground begins to cool down the heat is leaving the ground. its all about transfer of energy.
The reason warm air rises is because it is less dense (lighter) thancolder air.

Without getting too technical:

Air contains molecules that move or agitate. This movement or agitation is greater as the temperature rises. This causes the mass of the air to expand. Although the total mass of a lump of air has not changed, the mass is more spread out and so any given cubic area of it will be lighter.

That's whythey use a "Hot air balloon" not a "Cold air balloon".
The heated air will bewarmer than the surrounding air and the balloon will rise.

Of courseswirling windscan have an affect on air and carry your scent down, but that wasn't the question.

And yes, I have taken Chemistry, I have a degree in it.

Let me put it this way, if you believe...bull81, you'll be wrong....
Old 10-16-2006, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

The reason warm air rises is because it is less dense (lighter) thancolder air.

Without getting too technical:

Air contains molecules that move or agitate. This movement or agitation is greater as the temperature rises. This causes the mass of the air to expand. Although the total mass of a lump of air has not changed, the mass is more spread out and so any given cubic area of it will be lighter.

That's whythey use a "Hot air balloon" not a "Cold air balloon".
The heated air will bewarmer than the surrounding air and the balloon will rise.

Of courseswirling windscan have an affect on air and carry your scent down, but that wasn't the question.

And yes, I have taken Chemistry, I have a degree in it.

Let me put it this way, if you believe...bull81, you'll be wrong....
I realize it probably doesn't make much difference due to the swirl of the wind, but I'm curious now...will more warm air be rising in the morning or the evening?
Old 10-16-2006, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

from what ive heard thermals go up hill in the morning and down hill in the night
Old 10-17-2006, 05:30 AM
Bartender

Thanks jimmy that will always remind me the balloon part of it. I always get it mixed up but not now.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

BINGO!!! You nailed it on the head. In my profession we see this alot. I work for an Internet Service Provider in central Wi and we have wireless towers all over the place in central Wi. Once in a while we will have whats called the Ducting Effect. As the surface of the earth warms up it pushes the wireless signal up, thus making wireless connectivity go goofy for a while. Then as the day goes on and the day cools off, or the heat from upper atmospheredropsthe signal begins to drop to normal range and wireless connectivity begins working properly. You can think of your morning scents as a wireless connection and the ducting effect.This is why I do not use scents during morning hunts.

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

Yes, that is correct.

Inthe morning as the air is slowly heated, the air tends to rise, taking your scent with it.

Contrary, in the afternoon, before sunset, as the day cools down, the opposite happens.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's what I've always read, rises in the morning and sinks in the evening.

Quick Reply: Scent question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.