Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hornady Ammuniton

Old 11-13-2002, 04:40 PM

Default Hornady Ammuniton

I have a rifle hunt coming up and was thinking about trying hornady light magnum ammo. My 3006 could use the extra energy and trajectory for reaching out and hitting those little coues whitetail. My question is, has anyone used them? Are they any better than winchester or federal? They seem to be the same price as other premium ammo. Any thoughts would help. Thanks for your time!!
Old 11-13-2002, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hornady Ammuniton

I would use Remington core lok for a 30-06 w/150 gr. soft point.
I've dropped one or two or so at 250 yds or alittle better.
No problems here.
But I press my own.

Old 11-13-2002, 05:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I use the Lt. Mag Hornadys in my .270 with the 140 gr boat tail spire points. Very good bullet.

Old 11-13-2002, 07:34 PM

I haven't tried the Hornady light magnums yet, but I love Hornady bullets in general. Their new lt. mag. factory loads seem to give a hundred fps or so more than anything but handloads. Go for it!
Old 11-13-2002, 09:02 PM

i used the 30.06 150 gr. they were not as accurate as other shells.i also had many misfires with the light magnums. look at the hull and you will see where it says fronrier. they do not even load their own ammo. it is contracted out. the factory gave me this info when i complained. i now use winchester ballistic silvertips.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used them in my 270 and have really liked them. That said, I believe that they only come in 180 grain in the light mag. There is no reason to use a bullet that big for coues. I would go with a premium 150 gr bullet. Flat shooting and kick's less!
Old 11-14-2002, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Federal also makes High Energy. I used it once in my .30-06 before I started handloading. It produced 2880fps with a 180gr slug. Factory for this bullet is 2700fps. Factory for a 300H&H Mag is 2880fps for this slug. Accuracy was fine. The bullet was a Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. It put the whitetail deer down fast but so do a lot of rounds. I would need more experience, larger game or further distances to say how much better it would perform. However - better is better. Try them.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 11-14-2002, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a Remington 700 30.06 that is glass bedded and free floated and has a trigger job done on it so it is set at 2 lbs. and has 0 overtravel. I have been shooting the Hornady Light Magnums (either 168gr. Boat Tails or the 165gr. BoatTail SpirePoint)for close to 10 years and I have never gotten a bad shell. I have shot every shell on the market at one time or another and the Hornady shoot as accurate out of my gun as any other load that I have ever shot and they give me a lot better performance. I realize 165 grains sounds a little heavy for coues but there is only about 1/2 inch more drop at 400 yards than the 150s and the 165 has 2 inches less drop than the 150s at 500yrds. Here is a link to the ballistics info:

https://gateway.hornady.com/cgi-bin/....html&cart_id=

Protect your hunting rights, "Spay or neuter a liberal."
Old 11-14-2002, 08:02 AM

Hornady is a very good bullet, but they won't make or break the hunt. Remington, winchester, federal and on down the line are all good bullets. Shot placement is more important.

RYAN SMITH
Old 11-14-2002, 08:14 AM
Dominant Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>I would use Remington core lok for a 30-06 w/150 gr. soft point <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote> This is a very good factory shell. I have shot many deer with it. I load hornady for my 44mag pistol, they work very well. I have droped many deer with them.

What ever you choose make sure to go out and resight your gun in for it. Different grain bullets and even different factory shells shoot different and sometimes will throw off you scope.

&quot;Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity&quot; Martin Luther King Jr.

Edited by - burniegoeasily on 11/14/2002 09:16:57

Quick Reply: Hornady Ammuniton

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.