Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Meat or antlers

Old 10-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Meat or antlers

I try to shoot a doe early for meat. But ill take a shot at a buck too. it depends whats walkin under my stand....
Old 10-14-2006, 12:29 PM

ORIGINAL: 10pointhank

meat
hunting for antlers is pointles
I drink to that!That's a good one

I hunt for meat, and the antlers are kind of like a memorial in honor of the wonderful meals he provided. The more impressive the rack the more honor he gets...not fair buthuman nature! there are many years I go without a rack,so I will shot a doe for the meat!

Old 10-14-2006, 01:02 PM

i hunt for meat from sept16 thru oct.20th ., then i hunt for antlers., from oct.20 thru nov20th., then it is back to meat till im done hunting in the end of dec.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

If anyone saw my buck in the bowhuting forum, you will see the size of antlers doesn't really appeal to me. I'll go for what I can get.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:33 PM

I Hunt purely for meat antlers are a bonus. There is only one time i go for antlers and that is when i get a mulie draw in an area that produces lots of B&C deer. Then i stay out untill i see a big boy but still dont waste meat cause well hell you have to be mental to get rid of perfectly good deer meat.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:47 PM

Both? I only want 1 deer a year for the meat. So, I will only shoot one deer a year. I don't like shooting small bucks, I would rather let them grow. If a buck isn't mature, I'm not shooting it. I would rather shoot a doe. I hunt for big mature bucks. If the season is comeing to a close, then I will take a doe for the meat. I like to hunt and be in the woods, I could fill my tag on the first day of the season with a doe or small buck, but then I don't get to really HUNT. I like the challenge of hunting bigger deer. If I don't fill a tag, thats fine with me too. I'm just glad to be in hunt'n.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Site Buck Guru

Both. I shoot does for meat and antlers for fun. I've found that the ones with the antlers make for better hamburger/sausage meat and that the does (especially the 1 1/2s) make for tasty steaks and chops. There's a lot more meat on those antlered ones which really helps when your going for 100 lbs of burger.(2 lbs/week). So usually 2 does and 1 buck will do me for a year. I will take more if I have to.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt for meat.If it has bone on it's head-great.I'll take the 1st legal deer that gives me the shot I want to take.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JimPic

I hunt for meat.If it has bone on it's head-great.I'll take the 1st legal deer that gives me the shot I want to take.
That's what I do unless deer populations are really low, then I'll pass on a doe
Old 10-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt for meat, and deer populations are low here so my shooting is for a buck. Unless I travel out to another area where the population is some what higher.

Quick Reply: Meat or antlers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.