HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   how far do u go to stay scent free as possible (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/159182-how-far-do-u-go-stay-scent-free-possible.html)

jmac33 10-11-2006 01:02 PM

how far do u go to stay scent free as possible

these days scent control is as big as it has ever been. just wanted to know what people go to to stay as scent free as they can. i will admit i am hook on it too know! my routine is shower with widlife human scent killer body and hair wash. just regular long jons for me the budget has not allowed me to get a base layer suit yet. then my scentlock suit with head cover and rubber boots. then i spray down with wildlife scent killer and hit the woods. and with all that i play the wind every time because thats the best scent killer of all. all that other stuff just makes me feel better.

Good Hunting

Cleetus 10-11-2006 01:11 PM

RE: how far do u go to stay scent free as possible

I shower with scent free shampoo and soap as well. I wash my clothes in scent free laundry soap and I use a scent free spray right before I walk out to my stand. I don't and have any scent lock clothing and never will. Way to expensive and I never get winded with the routine I use now, so why change.

NY Bowhunter 10-11-2006 01:55 PM

I do everything known to man including taking a toothbrush dipped in scent a way detergent and scrub my notsril hair.

Jimmy S 10-11-2006 02:18 PM

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

I do everything known to man including taking a toothbrush dipped in scent a way detergent and scrub my notsril hair.
I'll bet that takes longer than taking a shower! ;)

kinny 10-11-2006 04:34 PM

I washALL of my clothes in scent free detergent from the middle of september thru hunting season(not just hunting clothes, I mean everything).It doesnt make any sense to use scented Tide on one load then try to wash your hunting clothes in the next load, that smell will hang around in your washing machine and will be in your clothes. Also, if you take a shower using unscented soap then dry off with a towel thatsmells of Bounce ... well that isn't going to do you any good either. I just use the cheap "All" brand unscented detergent for most clothes, but use the Hunters Specialties powder for my outer garments because that doesnt have any UV brighteners.

sellme69 10-11-2006 06:41 PM

I generally switch over to straight vegetarian meals 2 weeks prior season. No dairy, meats, cheeses, eggs, etc. I only eat oats, beans, wheat and blades of grass. One week prior opening day, I give myself a chlorophyl enema nightly before bedtime, just in case I pass gas while on stand (makes it smell like fresh cut grass). I also shave my eyebrows, armpits, genitals, etc. so I don't have any hair to retain scent. Finally, before I go on stand I saturate myself with scent killing spray then cover myself in Saran Wrap. It also insulates well so I never have much of a problem as far as getting cold. I chew on tree branches on my stand tree to keep my breath fresh and non-predator like.

hunterjoe0000 10-11-2006 06:52 PM

you all are something else :):):):)believe me shaving your cock will bring you no closer to the buck of your dreams any sooner. have you all thought about seeking the help of a shrink???????

hunterjoe0000 10-11-2006 06:55 PM

if you all have to go to all that extreme shaving lol lol lol just maybe you all are not cut out to be hunters lol lol lol lol lol

kevin1 10-12-2006 05:04 AM

Wash my duds in Sportwash and baking soda , me with HS green bodywash , unscented baking soda deodorant . Other than that I take no special precautions .

mlo3135127 10-12-2006 06:53 AM

I do everything mentioned above, than I piss on my boots and in every scrape I can find on my way to the stand. when I getto my stand I piss all over it too;).

Nord QC Bouman 10-12-2006 08:07 AM

Sounds like a Doe attracting technique....

hunterjoe0000 10-12-2006 08:38 AM

geeze now thats the way to deattract those big boys;)

USNRETHunter 10-12-2006 09:12 AM

All I do is drink about three cups of real strong dark roast coffee on my way out. My wife always says that I stink like strong coffee, so I figure that's all the deer can smell too. Hey, it's a natural product.

BAMAHUNTER77 10-12-2006 09:45 AM

Wash my hunting clothes (including towels) in Knight& Hale's ultimate body soap (fresh earth scent) and store them in a 30gallon zip-loc bag with a fresh earth scent wafer. I have a couple of towels that are not worthy of using for guests, so I laid claim to them. I shower with fresh earth soap, use arm & Hammer scent free deodorant and toothpaste.I spray myclothes with earth scent prior to walking in the woods and again once I get on stand. No scent-control clothing and have had no problems with deer winding me. I also spray my bow and treestand before heading into the woods.

chickenjohn42 10-12-2006 10:20 AM

GLAD I AM NOT A MOD. ON THIS ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

treestandstealth 10-12-2006 10:52 AM

I wash my clothes in scent free soap and take a scent free shower, I also keep my scent free clothes in abag. no way will I ever buy scentlok. to dang exspensiv!

mlo3135127 10-12-2006 12:32 PM

geeze now thats the way to deattract those big boys;)
I agree.. Just poking a little fun at the scent free guys that think its ok to pee out of their stand. Maybe its ok, who knows.

Red Lion 10-12-2006 12:43 PM

I've been know to go so far as to keep my scent out of the woods as to stay home and sleep in.

Nomercy 10-12-2006 02:50 PM

I'm a rifle hunter primarily, even though I thoroughly enjoy a good handgun or bow hunt...

One of my uncles that helped teach me how to hunt once told me: "When you're hunting with a good rifle, scent and sight don't matter, by the time they get in range to see or smell you, they should already be dead." I used to spend a lot of time and effort on my attire and my scents, then I remembered those words and just went back to hunting.

A story I might share...I was stayed an extra night at a friends college apartment a few years ago after a birthday party and ended up sittingin one of his groundblindsthe next morning with borrowed boots and parka, and my rifle (luckily had left it in the truck for the trip)...THe only scent cover effort he EVER used was $4 a bottle scent killer from walmart. I spritzed myself down and headed for the blind. I had about 20 does walk in on me from all directions that morning, some so close I could have jumped on their backs!!! I haven't been too concerned about scent killers since then, even for close range stuff.

hunterjoe0000 10-12-2006 04:03 PM

yeah i know whatcha think about all these guys lol lol a whole lot of shavin goin on here lol lol i was laughin so hard last night i about pissed my pants myself......i would have to be really desperate to shave my ole family jewels lol :D

hunterjoe0000 10-12-2006 04:07 PM

whats really funny is they all will go to all that trouble. and the first thing they do when they get to their stand is take a piss. kinda defeats the whole purpose of scent control from then on......:D

tennhunter 10-12-2006 06:13 PM

sellme69,
Can I go on the road with you and be your agent? We would make a fortune. You crack me up!

jimmy the foot 10-12-2006 07:18 PM

wash with scent free shampoo and soap
have outer clothing and some fleece under garmentswashed with scent free soap and sealed in a garbage bag
wear rubber boats and spray them with deer piss as a cover scent

sellme69 10-13-2006 03:29 PM

Tennhunter....the funny thing is, I think there are people who actually do this!:D

Rhodes4025 10-13-2006 07:24 PM

I too am very careful with scent control and I am a big believer in Scent Lok after sitting on top of deer for the last three years. But, the wind hunters are correct. If you have the luxury of several stands or large tracts of land where you can hunt the wind, that is clearly the best strategy. About the only scent control you need then is rubber boots. Unfortunately for the last three years I have had one stand in a 4 acre tract surrounded by other leases, but I managed to see 60 deer with about 10 different bucks and shot several does and one 2.5 year old buck.

mallard stalker 10-14-2006 07:11 PM

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

I have to admit you must feel very clean after that!

isatarak 10-14-2006 11:55 PM

I have a portable shower I pull behind my pickup and take a shower where I park. That eliminates "house smells". I have bows and clothes that I leave at each stand. I walk nude to the stand, climb up and dress. I wear light rubber gloves when handling my bows so no bodily scent is transferred to my bows. I use a carbon mask that filters my breath when I exhale. I spray carbon blast on a tampon and insert it in case I fart.

ike1371 10-15-2006 02:07 AM

It's over rated! The companies just want your money!

CamoCop 10-15-2006 04:47 AM

i go scent free up untill i wake up and smoke my first cigarette....lol

hunt high and don't worry about scent

DeerHuntMO 10-15-2006 10:30 AM

before theseason I wash all my clothes in scent blocker laundry detergent, then put in a huge rubbermaid container that has weatherstripping around the edge to seal out all scent.....then after I am all dressed I spray down with scent shield white lightning.Then after 5 or so hunts I reactivate the carbon in the dryer and wash the other clothes

-deerhuntmo

Soth 10-15-2006 11:06 AM

I spray my camos and my body with earth scented attractants. I bathe with nonscented soap and shampoo/conditioner, and wash my camos in unscented detergent. I also keep a small bottle of mouth spray on hand. Haven't tried the unscented deodorant yet, but I might soon.

sta3333 10-15-2006 01:56 PM

I use scent soap on my clothes. I take a scent free showerbefore every hunt and I spray everything down that I am going to take out into the woods with me with a good scent spray even my bow. I use rubber boots if I am hunting in an area that I feel the need for them if not I wear my danners that are sprayed down( I have never had a deer stop and smell where I have walked). I keep all of my clothing in scent lok bags and put my scent lok bags into x-large zip loc bags. I do not dress until I getout of my truck to hunt, I again then spray down my boots and my bow. I also have ascent lok suit but it does notseem to have made that much of a difference.One of the biggest things to do is to slow down so that you do not sweat, I walk real slow and I wear as little as possible to my stand and then I put onthe rest of my clothing there. The biggest thing to rememberis to place your stand on the downwindside of the area you are going to hunt. No matter what you do you will never completely fool a deers nose, you may decrease the amount of scent that you put out but you will never completely fool mother nature. Good Luck!!!!!

Steve8511 10-16-2006 10:17 AM

I believe that most deer people hunt should be considered urban deer because they are only 1 to 2 miles away from us humans and are desensitized. I have to confess I usually wear the boots I wear all day, drink beer, work, anything in. I drag a branch with the latest doe scent behind me to a tree climb real high in a Tree Lounge. Deer have followed the trail I walked down. Deer have looked straight at me while I wear blue jeans and have no reaction unless I move. I am starting to see the hunting industry push all these must have items on us. I think decked out camo hunters are like golfers in their must have golf shirts.

hunterjoe0000 10-20-2006 06:55 AM

you really have a mental disturbance. have you sought the help of a professional? :D:D:D:D

BillyMack 10-20-2006 07:24 AM

ORIGINAL: isatarak

I have a portable shower I pull behind my pickup and take a shower where I park. That eliminates "house smells". I have bows and clothes that I leave at each stand. I walk nude to the stand, climb up and dress. I wear light rubber gloves when handling my bows so no bodily scent is transferred to my bows. I use a carbon mask that filters my breath when I exhale. I spray carbon blast on a tampon and insert it in case I fart.
That's hilarious! For me, it's not "if" I fart. ;) [8D]

I just try to keep all my clothes outside airring out all the time. Spray myself and everything I take w/me down good. Just got me some real rubber boots this year. So far, haven't been winded that I know of. :eek:

pintailhomes 11-17-2006 09:32 PM

I do absolutely nothing and eat lot of chili before I go out.

sd_buckeye 11-18-2006 12:02 AM

Ithought it was really funny that the shaving Everything was brought up. I was just joking about that the other day with someone, and they said whatare you gonna do next shave urbody to bescent free? I said, if it helps me shootbigger deer... :)

I do the whole scent protection thing very religiously. I working ongetting the whole scentblocker suit, i got ajacket, mask, and gloves so far.