Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Combating tree stand boredom?

Old 10-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Combating tree stand boredom?

my friend plays yatzee on a little hand held.
i've listened to music, since 90% of the time i never hear them coming.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: jimmy the foot

my friend plays yatzee on a little hand held.
i've listened to music, since 90% of the time i never hear them coming.
I feel your pain! I hunt primarily in a draw/hollar about 75 yds off an interstate hwy. My eyes MUST remain "peeled". Really no chance of hearing 'em coming. I try to take advantage of it myself. Just seems their ears are much better than mine! [:@]
Old 10-12-2006, 08:33 PM

A $5 dollar "pocket poker" game from wal-mart is all I need. I don't do music because I can hear 'em sometimes. (When I'm hunting over cut corn.)
Old 10-12-2006, 09:34 PM

portable yahtzee...on silent mode, I used that this morning for about 5 min, then proceeded to see 14 different deer, 7 turkey's, 5 squirrels, 1 raccoon....I never did finish that game and I got a yahtzee on the first roll, but I did shoot a nice 11-point buck, then nearly fell out of my tree. It was a great morning!
Old 10-13-2006, 10:01 AM

ORIGINAL: gone thinking

portable yahtzee...on silent mode, I used that this morning for about 5 min, then proceeded to see 14 different deer, 7 turkey's, 5 squirrels, 1 raccoon....I never did finish that game and I got a yahtzee on the first roll, but I did shoot a nice 11-point buck, then nearly fell out of my tree. It was a great morning!
where's the pic?????
Old 10-13-2006, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

s wil
ORIGINAL: Pat Curtis

I read a book most of the time when I feel the action will be slow. I still pause every few paragraphs to scan the scene. On Sundays, I bring a small radio so I can listen to Colts games.

Other than that, I just think about things from the past, present situation, and plans for the future.
I hunt down near Martinsville and do the exact same thing. Part of the colt's pregame comes on Q95 at 10 so it makes staying in the stand until late in the afternoon ALOT easier!
Old 10-13-2006, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

sleep.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

I bring American Hunter and also a small notebook to jots some notes and draw a few pictures, maps what ever. Don't forget to listen for them comming in.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:00 PM
M38
Spike

After about the first two hours I start to get bored so I read or pray the Rosary.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to doodle a lot on a notepad, I do a little leather carving so I'd work on freehanding my patterns. I also braid flank ropes for bullriding, so I'd take cotton rope into the stand/blind and braid up some while I sat around. I sometimes take an ipod or cd player, as well as a good book. I used to take a lot of riflery books afield to help try to better myself as a shooter, picking up little bits of advice here and there.

The only problem I really had with reading and radio is that when I'm looking at a book, I'm not looking downfield, and when I've got an earbug in my ear, I'm not listening for footfalls or breaking twigs.

I try not to sleep in the stand once shooting hour breaks because it's too easy to miss game and I snore sometimes when I sleep sitting up. [:@]

Quick Reply: Combating tree stand boredom?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.