HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Combating tree stand boredom? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/159019-combating-tree-stand-boredom.html)

game4lunch 10-10-2006 03:18 PM

Combating tree stand boredom?

I would like to know what you tree stand guys do for several hours/days to pass the time? Seems like an excruciatingly boring way to hunt. But I'd like to try it sometime over a bear bait or elk wallow. Most I can sit is maybe 1.5 to 2 hours before I got to get up and "go see" what's over there. Also want to use a ground blind next year for archery antelope.

BooneAndCrockett 10-10-2006 03:37 PM

RE: Combating tree stand boredom?

I mostly just sit there and have some thing to widdle on!

mallard stalker 10-10-2006 03:52 PM

ORIGINAL: BooneAndCrockett

I mostly just sit there and have some thing to widdle on!
Smart idea

HuntCast 10-10-2006 04:17 PM

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

I would like to know what you tree stand guys do for several hours/days to pass the time? Seems like an excruciatingly boring way to hunt. But I'd like to try it sometime over a bear bait or elk wallow. Most I can sit is maybe 1.5 to 2 hours before I got to get up and "go see" what's over there. Also want to use a ground blind next year for archery antelope.
Untill you shoot at a deer from a stand, you are always going to be fighting that urge to get down and walk.
Believe it or not, once you have your first ever deer come in, the boring part goes away, lol.
You are constanly on edge wondering if the next 5 mins will bring that monster into sight. This is really the case for the evening hunts, as with the setting sun, each 5 mins really does increase the chance of seeing something :)

Rebel Hog 10-10-2006 04:29 PM

Well, all that motionless time and stillness, just makes me take a wonderful nap or two in the Tree Lounge!:D

Pat Curtis 10-10-2006 05:41 PM

I read a book most of the time when I feel the action will be slow. I still pause every few paragraphs to scan the scene. On Sundays, I bring a small radio so I can listen to Colts games.

Other than that, I just think about things from the past, present situation, and plans for the future.

ruffhunter 10-10-2006 06:08 PM

Ponder My old bachelor days:Dand where is the 30 point buck!

Rickmur 10-10-2006 06:09 PM

I watch a movie on my portable DVD player:D, just kidding, don't even own one. What I really do is sit there and suffer but I do do a lot of thinking and sorting things out.

Doefever 10-10-2006 06:32 PM

I never brought anything like a book or handheld game in a stand, but I might think about taking a radio with anear plug to listen to a Sunday football game.

jaymac 10-10-2006 08:47 PM

First time out hunting I actually fell asleep in the stand only to wake up to three does in a row right behind me!

I like the idea of a book. widdling on wood passes the time. I'd be afraid to bring the radio into the stand though. Too much screaming at my Colts would push the deer away!

Go Colts!