Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting from a Blind.....

Old 10-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting from a Blind.....

Last year was the 1st year I've hunted from a blind and I really liked it. I walk as quitely as possible to my blind, get in and situated, then zip it up. The zipper always seemsloud which is a concern. Obviously that is a strange noise that could be heard......how do others handle the "zipper noise".

Old 10-10-2006, 10:31 AM

Default RE: Hunting from a Blind.....

If you are worried that deer are hearing your zipper after "setteling in", then maybe you should look around more before getting in the stand. (lol)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Actually, I would like to know what you tree stand guys do for several hours/days to pass the time? Seems like an excruciatingly boring way to hunt. But I'd like to try it sometime over a bear bait or elk wallow. Most I can sit is maybe 1.5 to 2 hours before I got to get up and "go see" what's over there. Also want to use a ground blind next year for archery antelope.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:24 PM

I recommend the "bandaid method." The faster you go the less painful it is.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I zip it up as slowly as possible to minimize the noise , and to avoid "personal" injury .
With the pop-up blind I just zip it up , any deer spooked by the sound will soon be replaced by others who never heard it .
Old 10-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well you can do like I do and just make one quick zip shut , thats when I first get in early before first light.
If I gotta get out to streach or take a potty break then I'll make three short zips to open and close , it almost sounds like a deer gunt.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:50 PM

So do you guys have preferences on brands of blinds? Any benefits to the scent eliminator and darkened interior?
Old 10-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Spike

Hello, I've bowhunted out of a ground blind for the past three years. Between me and my dad we actually own 4 of them, various shapes, sizes,camo patterns, window, zippers or velcro, etc... I don't ever have problems with zipper noise, but I get in and don't get out until I'm done.

I believe it is important to get a blind to fit your areas of hunting, i.e. in my experience Velcro window (such as our cabelas lightning blind, it has velcro in the two upper corners)flaps will blow open under high winds, but if you musthave that window to shoot out of in an unplannedopportunity it is quieter to open thana zippered window. Sometimes it is better to have a larger window and sometimes visa versa, I really like the way the Ameristep Doghouse blindhas a large window as well as a smaller one within that. If you hunt with another person or maybe your children you want a larger blind. you may need more windows also.

The Blind I have with scent eliminator I have not noticed anything different or better than mine without it. Most blinds are windproof and that already keeps alot of your scent in, except for that which exits through the windows. The darkened interior I have only had success with if you have as little number of windows open as possible, this creates a darker inside and with the help of the darkened interior it is harder for deer or turkey to detect my suttle movements. Although you still have to watch how much you move around in a blind, you can get away with more movement.

I would recommend checking out and "testing" blinds at your local outdoor shop. Some blinds roofs are too small to hold your bow up, and some are to skinny that you can't be in full draw without brushing against the blind. Just try it out and see what works best. Happy Hunting!

Old 10-10-2006, 10:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I really like my Double Bull T5 its large enough for two and it has a darkened intterior as for the sent I'll spray the inside with Sent Killer from Wildlife Reshearch and then I'll put those Earth sent Waffers on the outside along with some Deer Dander.
Then I'll cover the outside with some dead fall branches and the roof as well with leaves and twigs to help blend it in , had alot of deer and turkey walk right by well within bow range without them getting spooked.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:41 AM

Thanks for the tips. I'd been looking at the Ameristep blind and a couple others at GanderMtn. Just wasn't sure if it was worth the 80-120 price tag I was looking at.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:12 AM

I use the Eastman LX-5 with carbon coating that's supposed to recharge in any kind of light. Seems to work just fine and is completely black inside. For Bowhunting I was looking for a blind large enough to shoot out of that I didn't have to stick my arrow out the window and the Eastman is plenty big enough for that. A real plus when buying a blind is getting one tall enough that you can stand up in without having to bend over....and the Eastman is 6 foot at the center so it fits my needs just perfect. Hope this helps....