Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bait???

Old 10-06-2006, 01:56 PM

Default Bait???

Just wondering what you guys think is the best bait to use for deer....what attracts them the most for you?

Mike
Old 10-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bait???

Best: Hot Doe

Otherwise: corn
Old 10-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Dominant Buck

No bait used here I hunt for them.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:58 PM

Not suppose to use bait in MN, but deer love apples, even the half eaten ones I may toss from my stand.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:55 PM

In North Carolina we use corn. I have hunted over corn for three years and see deer virtually evey time I am in the stand. The trick is to spread it in an area that deer normaly pass through or near an acorn producing oak. The problem with any bait is that it brings the deer into frequent close contact with each other and likely helps diseases spread. Also there is the problem with aflatoxins with corn. I am planting food plots this year and will not use supplemental corn feeding.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:34 PM

Baiting is illegal in my state!
Old 10-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never hunted where you can use bait but corn is what most Texas ranches use.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:43 PM

In the tri-state region (MD, NJ, DE), it is very competitive with hunters everywhere. You have to be able to keep deer on your farm or they will get shot next store. Sweet Potatoes work the best. Corn probably is #2 once it starts freezing.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:58 PM

In Michigan, corn and apples are the most popular. Sugar beets and cabbage come in second.
Just a tip, after you put your bait down, pour a little vanilla flavor on some logs and rocks around your pile. It will attract them quicker

Old 10-07-2006, 08:00 PM

They decided we can't feed the deer here...

Per VADGIF-
A new regulation makes it illegal to place or distribute food, salt or minerals to feed or attract deer from September 1 through January 6, statewide. This prohibition does not include the planting of agronomic crops or wildlife food plots.

Why? I don't know... We've got a ton of deer in Southwestern VA. I just hit a buck with my car last Monday!

Quick Reply: Bait???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.