Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 CWD-SPREAD BY SALIVA-BE CAREFUL >

CWD-SPREAD BY SALIVA-BE CAREFUL

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

CWD-SPREAD BY SALIVA-BE CAREFUL

Old 10-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default CWD-SPREAD BY SALIVA-BE CAREFUL

Check out the story below

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,218282,00.html

Don't know if it is old or newto some in the field but its news to me as to how CWD canbe spread. This is really going to put the boots to those states that allow baiting for deer as thatwould seem to be an almost guaranteed method of spreading thedisease.(or have most states stopped it already?)The list of possible deer activities that will cause thetransfer of CWDis mind boggling ifyou consider that they only have to share saliva and these prion things seem to be very durable outside the body.BE EXTRA CAREFULWHEN CLEANING ANY DEER AND ALL PARTS OF THEM, INCLUDING BLOOD AND SALIVA, NOT JUST THE BRAIN AND SPINAL CORDTISSUE.Take care all and adjust your actions accordingly. BE SAFE.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Spike

Default RE: CWD-SPREAD BY SALIVA-BE CAREFUL

Interesting article. Thanks nyorange.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:44 AM

Good to know. I'm hunting in a CWD area.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:50 AM
Bartender

Good may finally stop the legal baiting in northern Wi.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:27 AM

They've stopped baiting here in VAthrough certain dates... I can only hope that we all can take a moment to put onsurgical gloves or some type of protection while cleaning and taking care of our kills. It might be an inconvience; but, the few seconds it takes to protect ourselves will be well worth it.

Great Article and thanks for posting it up.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:18 AM

Very informative. But let's not ignore key words like "probably". Also "Studies would indicate". Fact is, the science community just does not know how it is transmitted, and why it's only in deer and elk. New hunt areas here in Wyoming far from known infected areas are still being discovered. Moose and Antelope still don't get it. AND . . . there is still no eveidence that humans can contract"variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease" from infected animals. (The human version of "mad-cow")
However, free testing can probably be found in your neck of the woods before eating the animal.
Our G&F recommends the following precausions when handling a suspected infected animal:

Wear rubber or latex gloves as a routine precaution when field dressing.
- Minimize handling of brain and spinal tissues and was
h hands afterward.
- When butchering, meat should be boned out.
- Do not eat the brain, spinal cord, eyes, spleen or lymph nodes of harvested animals.
- Hunters should not harvest or eat wild animals that appear sick.

When's the last time you had a good bowl of deer eye soup?

I remember talking to a G&F biologist a couple years ago and she told me they tested some infected deer at a facility here only to discover that when they took the dead animals out, the deer they put in the same pen also contracted the disease. No saliva there.

So don't be afraid of CWD, just try to understand it.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

<<<
I remember talking to a G&F biologist a couple years ago and she told me they tested some infected deer at a facility here only to discover that when they took the dead animals out, the deer they put in the same pen also contracted the disease. No saliva there.
>>>

No saliva??

The deer were at feeders, fences, and many other items in the pens. There is saliva everywhere!!! Just because it has dried doesn't mean there's no CWD prions.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

CWD-SPREAD BY SALIVA-BE CAREFUL -

DANG IT ALL !!!!
I guess I am going to have to STOP making out with My deer before field dressing, at least no more "tounging" them.

Slack over
Old 10-11-2006, 10:30 PM

Aside from not making out with them, you can cover the head with a plastic bag after the kill. That way you don't touch the eyes either.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:49 PM

A report by anti hunting media and anti gun media.

Quick Reply: CWD-SPREAD BY SALIVA-BE CAREFUL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.