Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 11-12-2002, 01:21 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-12-2002, 01:42 PM

Default RE: How can you tell if a deer has CWD?

I'm not real sure if you can tell by just looking at the body or not but everything that I have read says that one of the first signs is that the deer is walking around disoriented and and sort of lost.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in WI we are having to worry about CWD. From the literature I've read, There is no way to tell by looking at the deer. The only method is to have the brain sent to a lab for analysis. Most of the deer that have tested positive for CWD have no outward signs at all. The condition doesn't really manifest itself until the deer is 2 1/2 yr's old to begin with. Gander Mountain, a sporting goods store is selling kits, including cold packs and postage to send samples to a private lab for analysis. The State DNR is testing at least 500 deer per county this gun season to determine the extent of the disease in the state. There is a good website to check out the latest scientific info on CWD. It's www.cwd-info.org; Check it out.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:48 PM

Wingbone
the link does not work for me PLEASE check as I woud be very interested in add'l info!

If It Dont Kill You - It Will Only Make You Stronger!

Steve

Edited by - TXMAGNUM on 11/12/2002 19:50:30
Old 11-12-2002, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

www.cwd-info.org

There's the link without the added semi-colon. Anyways, they say that a deer that's infected with CWD, in the latter stages of the disease acts kinda like a drunk animal. It's head is drooped down, it avoids other animals, it may look skinny or malnourished because it hasn't been eating enough, it also paces back and forth, stumbles around or seems dazed. If you shoot a possibly infected animal be sure and report it to your local wildlife biologists for testing.

"If a lie is repeated often enough, the gullible public will eventually believe it." -- Paul Joseph Goebbels (Chief Minister of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda for Adolph Hitler)
Old 11-13-2002, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry about the added punctuation in the site name. Yes, in later stages, the a diseased deer is obvious as FroMan pointed out. But, they have tested emaciated deer and found they have something else. In the CWD hot zone in the SW part of the state, they have been shooting and testing deer all summer. The infection rate runs consistantly at 2-3%. So, even in the "hot zone", the vast majority of the deer don't have it.