Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Poison Ivy

Old 09-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Poison Ivy

I hope that I never have the experience to know what it's like!! ha, ha
Old 09-27-2006, 07:40 PM

I have had problems with poison ivy my entire life. I haven't found anything that works besides the shots (corisone maybe?) that I can get at the doctor's office.

Until last turkey season when I ordered some stuff call ivy off. I've gotten poison ivy twice since then and it has literally erased it in a few days time. It's not very expensive and it works. I tell everyone I know that's allergic to poison ivy/oak/sumac to order some and keep it around. I keep mine in the shower full time in case I find any more spots since I'm always in the woods scouting or hunting or whatever.

http://www.ivyoff.com/
Old 09-28-2006, 09:36 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Thank god I avoided any contact this year. It screws me for a month of misery when I get it.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Taking hot showers/baths will actually allow the urushiol to transude into deeper layers of your skin. Cold showers keep your pores tight. Not unlike folks that work around fiberglass.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

This may sound crazy but try Clorox. Do not try to wash it off as you may actually spread the oil. If I can I simply douse the affected area, other wards soak a cloth and blot the area. The bleach will destroy the proteins in the oil that cause the reaction and will emulsify the oil itself. This cure is only good if ya don’t react to bleach.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

I get it real bad and usually have it for about two months. You can look up on pharmacy website and look at thier recomended medicines. I can't remember the name of the stuff but it is like 40 bucks for this little tube and they garuntee it to be gone in 48 hours or your money back. This stuff works great.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:05 PM

Oh jeez... don't even GO there.

I have never had it myself, but shortly after we moved into this house (June), my hubby was pulling vines off of the evergreens that block the view of our house from the road and he was completely unaware it was poison ivy! He got a mild case of it, but thought it was from some stuff in the back yard... didn't realize where he got it from... so, a few weeks later, the man goes back to pulling vines, STILL unaware. Shortly after that, he slowly developed the rash.... within a week, he woke up with his eyes nearly swelled shut. He had to go get a shot as well, it cleared up within two days after the shot.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:35 PM

I use bleach. Scratch the infected area really good (this usually feels good). Then apply the bleach ( this burns). It won`t itch anymore. But, you`ll have a scab on the area. I don`t recommend for the face.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

I get poison ivy every year. What works for me is to take a Reactine allergy pill, which controls hives as written on the label. Most allergy pills don't control hives. Calimine lotion will make you more sensitive to next time you get poison ivy. I recently read in a hunting magazine that PreperationH helps to tighten up the blisters and heal much faster. Haven't had the pleasure of trying the PreperationH yet. Note that the Reactine works good only once per season. If you get poison ivy a second time in a season you may have to triple dose.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Pat Curtis

Taking hot showers/baths will actually allow the urushiol to transude into deeper layers of your skin. Cold showers keep your pores tight. Not unlike folks that work around fiberglass.
I would agree with you initially; however, by the time the blisters form the urushiol should be off as it takes 2-3 days for a reaction to occur. I would recommend taking a cold shower if you think/know you came in contact with poison ivy and scrub down with some type of medicated soap. If you still get the blisters a few days later, I don't think it would hurt opening the ol' pores up popping them and treating with ivy dry, jewelweed, etc...

Quick Reply: Poison Ivy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.