Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Keeping your feet warm.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Keeping your feet warm.

For very cold weather I use Nortern Outfitters Expidition boots, warmest boot I've ever worn. They aren't real good for lone distance walks but great for the stand! A bit pricy at $200.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

Although warm, I find the Artic Shields to be bulky and very noisy in the stand. I have them, but quit using them. You are supposed to wear them without your regular boots which means taking them off and putting them somewhere. Where? I have left mine on my stand platform, but that makes it pretty crowded. Then, after you are done hunting, your regular boots are freezing cold and you have to put your toasty warm feet back in freezing boots.
Now I wear a set of neoprene socks with wool over them. That set up inside my new pac boots and I hope to be warm and comfortable this year.
Good Luck.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Spray your feet with anti-perspirant, no sweat = warmer feet.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

For moderate weather (down to0 F) I can wear Army wool/nylon inner and a medium weight wool or polypropolene outer with 800 to 1000 gram Thinsulate, Goretex leather boot. Important never to make the feet with sock too tight in boots. That's a sure recipe for cold feet if you do.

For colder weather (sub zero to 25 below) I wear either the best mohair socks in 1000 gram thinsulate Gore-tex boots. They are very warm, soft and keep my feet warm. They naturally wick sweat away to keep feet drier and warmer.

This is where I get my mohair socks. "The goat Lady" near Harmony MN. I'm sure there are others who make / sell them. I like this lady's spunk and her socks her stay at home moms make out of mohair she grows on a couple hundred of these goats.
http://www.woolworks.org/stores/mn.html
Old 10-05-2006, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Other than what's already been mentioned, I buy 2-3 packs of hand or foot warmers that will last the season around here.

One in each boot does the trick.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

merlin wool socks...at least 70% merlin....1000-2000gr rubber boots..and theimage of that big bruiser entering the shooting lane
Old 10-05-2006, 06:53 PM

Come on fellas. You're supposed to be great outdoorsman. Your mind shouldn't even be on your feet when out hunting. I do have a good pair of boots that do a pretty good job, although my mind isn't worrying about my feet while out in the stand. 800 Grams of thinsulate in my Rocky's does the trick for the most part. My biggest problem is keeping my arms and shoulders warm. If the top is cold it's all over. Stay away from cotton socks, they tend to make you sweat a little more than others do.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

NavyDeerhunter...You got it all wrong regarding the Arctic Shield Boot Covers. They goOVER your boots! Give them another try and you will love them.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your feet being cold may not have anything to do with what you have on them. First, make sure you're wearing a good hat during cold weather. Dress warm in layers and stay dry. When your core body temp starts to fall, your body restricts blood flow to your extremities, which in turn, make your feet cold. Also, every now and again, eat some of your favorite candy. For me, it's M&M's. Not only because I like chocolate, but the candy shell keeps a lot of the smell down to a controllable level. These empty carbs are like throwing a log on the fire! If you're not already doing this, you'll be surprised at how well it works.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:45 AM

Sprinkle a little pepper powder on your feet before you put your socks on, works great!

Quick Reply: Keeping your feet warm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.