Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 01-13-2002, 03:13 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-13-2002, 04:02 PM

Default RE: Finding shed antlers

1st week of january i found a huge 6 point both sides on a fence line . anywhere a buck needs to jump to cross is a ecxellent spot fences creeks even windfalls. the bigger the buck and the harder the winter the sooner the racks will fall. but walk slowly and look hard , ive found racks where people have allready looked.
Old 01-13-2002, 04:51 PM

Ive had good luck in thick places, the thicker the better, Ive heard that a deer will shed close to where he hooks and beds. Ive had the same lease for 7 years and two days ago my dad found a pair of sheds equaling up to a great 10 point, in all those years ive never seen this buck, but Im pretty sure hes still in the area, they were last years sheds and the critters had eat them up pretty good but one side was still in tack and I saw no difference the remains of the other side. We estimated that he had about a 19 inch spread a good buck where I hunt. Anyways we have found several sheds over they past few years and they were always close to hooks in thicker timber and brush hope this helps

A mans gotta believe in something I believe Ill go HUNTING
Old 01-13-2002, 04:53 PM
Spike

I like to follow deer trails to bedding and feeding areas. Unharvested corn fields are some of the best places I have found, I think the corn stalks help knock off loose antlers.
Old 01-13-2002, 04:57 PM

oh yeah Ive also seen feeders designed to knock loose horns off so that they will be right by your feeder for you to pick up hope this helps

A mans gotta believe in something I believe Ill go HUNTING
Old 01-14-2002, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive found close to thirty and ive found them just about anywhere a deer goes from bedding areas, travel routes, thickets, feeding areas etc.. I like to take one shed with me and use as a reference to train my eye to look for this coloration amongest all the other ground clutter in the woods. I just walk in the areas i know the deer favor using keep my eyes open and enjoy the outdoors and have a blast.Good Luck.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:44 AM

Lady, that is one of the best things that I have done, bringing an antler with me. I just turn my back to a field, and throw the antler behind me and go and look for it. Yes, it makes you come in tune with the color your looking for, but it also makes you more observant to looking for other antlers that may be in the field. Its pretty funny though, I've spent about an hour looking for an antler that I threw, beacause it was hidden so well. Some times they are just so hard to find when you hide them like that.
Rob
P.S. Another tip-wear a pair of polarized sunglasses or skiing goggles. When your looking on the ground, the contrast is amazing, and the antlers often appear to pop out at you. Also they act as eye protection when you are walking through the thick stuff.

Edited by - Corvid Killer on 01/14/2002 12:46:39
Old 01-14-2002, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found a couple this past weekend - I find them in and around old fields, food plots etc. Around here, the fields are about all the food there is around. Nothing big, but going to do some serious hunting for them here in about 3 weeks.
Old 01-14-2002, 04:25 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-15-2002, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Corvid you are correct the polarized glasses are also a great help when looking also.Ive used them myself and lost quite a few pairs in the thickets i seem to be so focused on looking for antlers i dont seem to notice the glasses lost until latter. Sometimes it seems i cant see the forest for the trees

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.