Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

September Youth/Mosquitos

Old 09-23-2006, 10:18 AM

Default September Youth/Mosquitos

I am currently hunting a Youth hunt that just started today, Me and my dad went out there in the early morning and had to leave early because of how many mosquitos there were. Mosquito spays that contain DEET work, but do they also give your possition away to deer? If so what do you reccomend to use to repel the mosquitos or what do you reccomend to do in order to limet the amount of mosquito bites and not scare away the deer.?

Thank you please help out.

-Ashton
Old 09-23-2006, 10:34 AM

Default RE: September Youth/Mosquitos

Please any ideas?
Old 09-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

you might try the one called no stinkin bugs its supposed to be odorless. i bought mine at rural king but havent tried it yet. a lot of guys are using a thing called thermacell (correct me if im wrong anyone) i think that is what it is called. Good luck in your youth hunt. hope you score.
Dan
Old 09-23-2006, 10:50 AM

Defintely the Thermacell. Best thing I have ever used for mosquitos.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:01 AM

If I had to choose between thermacell and my gun, I'd give up the gun first. Thermacell will get rid of 20 mosquitoes from off my clothes in about 30 minutes when I finally stop moving and it's warmed up.

Try permethrin. You can buy it in aerosol or you can do the cheap man's method which is what I use. I buy it from Lowes in the 4% variety or so in the yard mosquito treatment. I then 'cut it down' by a factor of 4 by diluting it. Then I lightly mist my clothing. I mist everything that a mosquito can land on. After the clothes dry, wear them. You'll kill hundreds of probing insects. The permethrin acts like LSD to their nervous system and kills them. If I wear permethin one day to the stand, I'll see only a few the next day since I killed so many the first day. One warning, though. Don't soak your clothes and don't wear them until they initially dry from the application. It will cause some nasty rashes... You can figure out how I know that one!

By the way, I use both permethrin and thermacell since I hunt in the swamp where a cloud of mosquitos usually follow me. If I stop for any length of time without some repellant, etc.I get quickly covered in 20 mosquitoes. When scouting, sinceI move around so much, I use permethrin and deet. Thermacell only works if you stay in one spot.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

thermacell def
Old 09-23-2006, 12:41 PM

Another question would normal, Bug Spray like "Off" that contains DEET work, or would the smell drive deer off?
Old 09-23-2006, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

smelly to me so i know it is to deer go get a therma cell for 20 bucks and you problems will be solved
Old 09-24-2006, 08:05 AM

I don't have a thermacell. Always used bug spray, deep woods rebel if I remember right. I take thebug spray with me and when the skeeters starting biteing again, i spray down again.I have been winded, but those 2 deer had changed bedding locations. I have also had does go up a trail 3 yards from me while I was sitting on the ground with my back up against a tree. They never knew I was there. Been close a lot of times and not been busted.