Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Plans for a hunting blind?

Old 09-10-2006, 02:18 PM

Default Plans for a hunting blind?

Can anybody share what they may have used to build a light-weight gun blind? I've generally built them just out of lumber and plywood, but I'd really like to build one with materials that are lighter and maintenance free. I've seen many for sale that are foam covered in thin galvanized steel, and I've seen some that are plastic. The plastic ones that look like a big barrel or outhouse seem like they'd be real nice, but all the store bought ones I've seen are $400 plus. I'd appreciate any tips you could share. I can't help but think I could find some 4x4 plastic tank somewhere and start cutting out windows and a door. Alternatively, it seems you could just "side" some hard-foam insulation sheets with thin plastic or galvanized steel and maybe use metal studs or just thin angle-iron for framing in the structure.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Plans for a hunting blind?

Don't know if you have ever tried one of the good pop-up blinds, but they are easy to move, warm, dry and fairly comfortable.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:32 PM

these are nice and 2 folks can hunt in a single one..
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=53379&hvarTarget=sea rch

i use these in south ga., run throw it up and your good to go..

Old 09-10-2006, 06:30 PM

A cheap way that i've been thinking of doing but have not yet done, is to try pvc, Make the outline in PVC and then find a cover for it, it would be lightweight and very cheap, of course it would need to be anchored down some way.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:32 PM

last year I made one out of rebar. it was fairly light weight , non colaapsible and hella strong. not really portable unless you wanted to throw it on a truck. i spent more on camo material than I did the blind frame itself .

this year i needed another blind but instead of moving this one or making another one I went to dicks sporting goods and bought a doghouse for $59.

honestly If I had it to do over again I would have just bought a doghouse last year and took it home with me at the end of every day.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:49 PM

I didnt build one but what i did was go a to a local porta toliet dealer and bought a old one for $50. It is not as hevey as a wooden shooting house and all i had do was cut gun holes. You just sit right there on the lid. And if nature calls lol just flip the lid up. ( just kidding) Has vents at the top and is real comfartable.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Have you considered a portable ice shany, they are light wieght .
Some people will use just about anything these days.