Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How much insulation does a boot need? >

How much insulation does a boot need?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How much insulation does a boot need?

Old 09-07-2006, 06:14 PM

Default How much insulation does a boot need?

My feet have been growing for the last couple years, so I stuck with cheaper boots that my mom and dad would get me. Problem is, they weren't very warm. I want to get a pair of boots to last a while now, and keep my feet from feeling painful and numb. In catalogs I see insulation from 200 grams to 2000 grams. Question is, how much do I need? I hunt in Mid-Southern Missouri, so temps aren't too bonechilling cold, but it can still get down there. I sit alot too with my grandpa, he doesn't like to move too far, if that makes any difference. Thanks for any replies!
Old 09-08-2006, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How much insulation does a boot need?

Your boots are only part of the equationof keeping your feet warm. I tend to buy boots a little bigger than I normally wear. I put an extra felt insoles in the bottom. When you are standing around alot, the ground transmits a lot of cold into your boots. Another thing is to wear good wool socks. I don't care how thick you boots are, you wear cotton socks and your feet are going to get cold. Cotton tends to absorb moisture as your feet sweat. Once your feet get wet, the jig is up. If you can't tolerate wool next to your skin, put on a pair of polypro liners. The last thing is to not have your boots too tight. It restricts your circulation and improves the efficiency of cold transmission from the outside.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:05 AM
Typical Buck

I just picked up a pair of these this past weekend at BPS. http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=34699&hvarDept=500&a mp;hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=4&hvarSubCode= 2&hvarTarget=browse

I have high hopes that they will work well.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:32 AM

ditto wingbone,

have the poly liners here..

i tell my son keep them toes wiggling..

Old 09-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Stay away from Thinsulate........it doesn't do what the advertising leads you to believe. I've tried it and my feet freeze. Of course, I'm in Montana where the winters are a lot colder than Missouri. Like the others said, make sure your boots aren't too tight...if you are sitting more than walking, get a pair a size larger than normal. And yes, socks make the difference. You're feet will not stay warm if you use cotton socks. I have a pair of Schnee Insulated packs that are excellent. They aren't cheap, but like most things in life.....when it comes to boots, you get what you pay for. When your feet are done growing, get a pair.....they last forever.

Another thing, keep the rest of your body warm and your feet won't get as cold either (Especially your head.......most of the body heat escapes from your head), sowear a warm hat when you are sitting.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

1000 grams and wool socks work well for me. and an occasonal set
of foot warmers whenthe temp reallygets down there. Im in southern Indiana, your in Missouri so our temps are simular.
Dan
Old 09-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

Keep your legs strait, not bent, when you can, as this improves circulation.

Most importantly, wear a warm, insulated hat/hood. 80-90% of heat lost is from your shoulders up (remember heat rises). You'll be surprised how much warmer you'll feet and hands will be if you insulate your head correctly.

good luck, ths78
Old 09-08-2006, 09:01 PM

So, good socks, maybe liners and somewhere around 1000 grams insulation? With warm clothing and a hat? Sounds easy enough.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:35 PM

It depends on how cold it is where you hunt. I live in Saskatchewan, Canada and during our rifle season it can get to 20 below zero Celsius(sp?) and that might be a warm day so I use my rocky boots with 1200grms of thinsulate and a good pair of socks not wool because if your feet sweat and they get wet its horrible. Always make sure you get a pair with extra room for room to breath and if you need to put a foot warmer in you have room.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:06 AM

I hunt in Southern-Mid Missouri too. Where do you go to school? Anyway, I just wear a liner w/ wool socks over them. I just have some northerner rubber hunting boots. They're really thin and barely have any insulation but my feet stay fine. So the key is definitely the socks.

Quick Reply: How much insulation does a boot need?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.