Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How much insulation does a boot need? >

How much insulation does a boot need?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How much insulation does a boot need?

Old 09-09-2006, 12:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How much insulation does a boot need?

Thinsulate is a great insulator,but only if you have enough of it.I wear schnee pac boots which have removeable liners made of thinsulate,overultimax socks,and they are warm enough for me. If they are warm enough for me hunting Alberta and Saskatchewan,they should be plenty warm for you.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:46 AM

Ty,

I am a big fan of Smart Wool socks and Lacrosse alpha burly boots. A lot of us up here in New England use them to still hunt in. Waterproof, good traction and best of all, comfortable. However, the socks can make all the difference. They come in different weights so you can go heavier on colder days andthey're much cheaper then boots.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

For your part of the country, I wouldn't think you'd need to go overboard on insulation. However, I've never liked cold feet.
In Minnesota I wear good constructed leather, Gore-tex, Thinsulate boots (800-1000 grams) for colder weather with a pair of Mohair sock (not wool).
The former wear much longer, don't sweat and are the softest sox I've ever worn. I get mine from:

austins mohair: angora and boer
jim or ada austin
r.r. 2 box 41 b
harmony, mn. 55939
507 8866731
[email protected]
mohair items created by 15 stay at home moms for sale
http://www.bluffcountry.com/austins.htm

They're not cheap, but they last a long time even with wearing them regularly and they are warm. I've got a pair on now to keep my feet warm.

I'd say in your area for insulated boots look more at 200-300 grams of Thinsulate. Ask your friends too what keeps their feet warm.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:57 AM

Try the Cabelasrubber boots with probably 400 grams and good socks u shouldbe fine
Old 09-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

800grams, polyproplene socks or liners and merino wools over top works for me. If I sit I'll untie my tops on the boots and wiggle the toes. Booty blankets, sleeping bag and hot hands can add additional comfort for the stand or blind hunter. I agree that feet are only one part of the equation, head, hands and torso also need to be kept warm - stay away from cotton against the skin.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

TYKE...how much wood could a woodchuck chuck??
warm socks...merlin wool.. thats where you start...base layer for foot.
How cold is cold for you??