Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what's the best deer call?

Old 09-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default what's the best deer call?

Just wondering what deer calls are your favorite? hopefully one that is simple to use, since I'm a beginner...
Old 09-02-2006, 11:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: what's the best deer call?

I just use an old Knight&hale. I usually only use it to stop deer that are running, not to call them in. It does the trick though and sounds good.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:00 PM

My grandpa told me that best deer call is no deer call, he didnt belive in them. I wont be using them!
Old 09-04-2006, 12:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

HS Truetalker is an all in one, easy to use anddecent tone. Deer calling does not work at all times but it can be a very productive tool at minimal expense to the hunter. I don't believe in blind calling to lure deer, unless rattling is involved but rather as visual aid, meaning a moving animal or a deer outside of range. It may or may not work but it is non threating as it is a natural sound.Deer are curious and social by nature, so making a call is not a bad thing as long as your prepared for the results...meaning the deer may come investigate or another deer you don't see may show up on the scene. Over calling is a common mistake by hunters, so don't blow on it like a trumphet all morning or day long expecting the forest to come running.

PersonallyI use a grunt onlycall in the woods(widowmaker -older call), mainly with contact or social grunts (the ones you hear on every video). However during or near the rut I will make tending and huffing grunts while rattling as well with the same grunt call. Ihave also bleated, fawn bawled, etc via my voicebox.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:02 AM

i like the modern calls, hands free.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

I use a Woodswise Buck-n-Doe. I've called in numerous deer and taken 4 bucks using this call. I did see all 4 before I called to them and got them to come in with the call. I have called in several by calling blind though. 2 of the bucks I killed I had jumped and when they ran off I started calling and called them back. I have had more luck using the doe bleat end of the call rather than the buck grunt end. I've talked to Jerry Peterson, the owner of Woodswise, and he told me the doe bleat usually works more often than the grunt. My experience is calls may help 5% of the time but boy o boy when it works and a good buck comes charging in, nostrils flareing and hair on his back standing up you couldn't trade me a new rifle for my call.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey yo, deer, get over here!!!

sorry, just had to.. Actually, a fawn call has worked for me several times on does
Old 09-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Dominant Buck

WV tooting call!
Old 09-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Trying the buck growl this year come mid to late october
Old 09-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have also had good luck with the Woods Wise Buck and Doe...Have used for at least 10 years...They are kinda hard to find...I even bought 3 spares that I have tucked away...About 7-8 years ago I had a buck come into one of our cut corn fields, chasing hot does...I heard him grunting in the woods before he hit the field, he was doing the growl...I thought somebody was in the woods blowing on a grunt call...He came into the field and stopped and scent checked a scrape that I had been putting Tinks 69 into for a couple of days...He ran the does to the far end of the field out of sight...Reminded me of a border collie rounding up sheep...I took the doe end off the call to get more volumn and really cranked down on the call, blowing as hard as I could....The does ran back my way and he followed...When he came by I grunted with my mouth and he stopped...I put a 100 grain CoreLokt behind his front shoulder and he sprinted about 60 yards and turned a flip...Turned out he was a good 9 pointer...One of the most exciting hunts I ever had...

I have also had good luck with the Primos Rubberneck and fair luck (although spotty) with the Primos can...

Quick Reply: what's the best deer call?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.