Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does with milk

Old 11-06-2002, 08:02 PM
Spike

Default Does with milk

I was wondering what kind of experiences the rest of you have had with does still having milk in them. I was hunting the other day, had a doe come in solo. I watched her feed for close to an hour, waiting to see if any others would come in. None did. I finally decided She was my deer for the day, and I drilled her. She kicked like crazy, ran a little ways, than she staggered and fell. When I was dressing her out, she still was producing milk. I have taken a couple does with well grown fawns, and they were still making milk, but this I expected. This doe seemed to be alone. I have read that does with continue to produce milk for a while after the fawns are weaned. Anyway I am curious as to what your experiences are with this. Have you taken does that were still producing milk? When was it in the season - early, late? Did they still have fawns with them, or were they alone. I'm not feeling sorry about this deer, I would take her again, she's been good eating. Just curious.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Does with milk

One doe last year, and three this year all had milk. Only two had other deer neareby.

Bowhunter
Old 11-07-2002, 07:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not sure what part of the country you are in, but in a lot of the south the does still have small spotted fawns (there were 5 in my backyard yesterday). Does often leave their fawns in the woods while they are feeding.

Old 11-07-2002, 08:48 PM

I would have to say that this doe still had fawns. As TC said they often will leave thier young when they feed.

I have watched doe for a while and when coming back to camp seen the same doe with young.

I haven't personally taken a doe that was still producing milk.

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 11-08-2002, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I killed a doe in central Va. a week ago today, she was bone dry. I feel it has a lot ot do with where you are as to whether or not the have milk or not.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 11-08-2002, 09:15 PM
Spike

Thanks for the observations and insights, guys.
Old 11-09-2002, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Over 60% of does that had fawns will still have some milk (lactating) come November in NY. Thats normal, and is used as a tool in management to estimate the % of the does that raised at least one fawn to adulthood, when figuring population estimates. Even if she still has fawns with her, they do not require her milk by November. Most fawns in the NE where I hunt are weaned by September. Does will continue to lactate 2 months after weaning.

Lactating does are a good indication of a healthy population. A study that was done in the last several years indicated that a person is more likely to harvest a B&C buck, than a true, dry doe - (too old to raise fawns).
Old 11-09-2002, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I took a doe 3 days ago and she had milk.

Rick