Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question

Old 08-12-2006, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default Question

Ok so i have this spot in a friend's property that im going to hunt this year. well over the past year i've sean alot of deer tracks i mean a bunch by this pond so we built a house there kind of like a blind but a house lol
and we have it set up there for oct. 14 thats when our hunting starts so i was wondering how could i attract more deer between now and thento that spot, and what times should i hunt in that spot? should i put a feeder in there or what some help, advices welcome!!!

Thank You.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question

During the hot summer months, the pond is certainly going to attract deer. From my experience, it won't be as attractive during the fall. If baiting is legal in your area, a feeder would be the ticket for getting them to come in during the fall.

Put the feeder out now. Actually a month ago would have been better. Once deer find it they will come often. The problem is, the big bucks may not come till night.

I'd advise feeding the deer year roundm if you can afford it. Corn is cheap and deer like it. If you got alot of money to spare, deer pellets would give the deer more nutrition.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:22 PM

Don't rely on attracting the deer to you, go out and hunt for them where they are! After all it is called hunting. You might catch one there on a hot day, but do some scouting and walk the entire property to figure out the deer's patterns during each of the seasons and go after them. You need to recognize and then locate their natural food sources, and travel patterns, and then place your stands according to the prevailing winds, taking caution to draws and currents that may swirl your scent and or carry it to the direction they would be traveling. Then you need to distinguish from buck and doe trails and or sign, if you are pursuing bucks. If not, then any trail will produce at the right time and placement. Bedding areas, feeding areas also have to be identified.These are the challenges and the joy of actually hunting as opposed to attracting, feeding, overmanaging, etc.to produce a deer. It isn't illegal or wrong to do otherwise,and you may want to take that route, but it isn't the same approach at all.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:56 PM
Fork Horn

thank you so much for the advice everyone i will do all that lol

thank you
Old 08-13-2006, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Manuman
He's rightit is called HUNTING and thats what you should do, look around for trails leading to that pond.
Backtrack and see where it takes you, try to set a stand nearby or along that trail.
You might find a bedding area or another food source.
Good luck to ya hope you have safe and productive season.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with the others. Thas some good advise...
Old 08-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: manuman

Don't rely on attracting the deer to you, go out and hunt for them where they are! After all it is called hunting. You might catch one there on a hot day, but do some scouting and walk the entire property to figure out the deer's patterns during each of the seasons and go after them. You need to recognize and then locate their natural food sources, and travel patterns, and then place your stands according to the prevailing winds, taking caution to draws and currents that may swirl your scent and or carry it to the direction they would be traveling. Then you need to distinguish from buck and doe trails and or sign, if you are pursuing bucks. If not, then any trail will produce at the right time and placement. Bedding areas, feeding areas also have to be identified.These are the challenges and the joy of actually hunting as opposed to attracting, feeding, overmanaging, etc.to produce a deer. It isn't illegal or wrong to do otherwise,and you may want to take that route, but it isn't the same approach at all.
10-4, good buddy!
Old 08-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

thanks everyone
Old 08-13-2006, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

A nice food plot may help a little going in this late - or not help at all - 50/50.

But I'd do 2 or 3 bags of Deer Cocaine if it's legal.