Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your opinions????

Old 08-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Your opinions????

Ok everyone I went out the other day to scout and I found a natural spring in the bottom of our creek which only pumps out enough water for the animals to drink from.. This would keep the deer from having to get out in the open and drink so I think they use this quite often by looking at all the tracks around it... Anyways my question is when is the best time to hunt around water... Morning, night, or set there all day? I know this is going to be a good stand location
Old 08-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Your opinions????

I myself would say all day, especially if the are comfortable and dont have to get out in the open... Just my thoughts.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:09 PM

Early season when its hot and dry is a good bet.I'm not sure what would be the best time to huntit then, but I would assume late afternoon to evening would be a good bet.It seems like I've heard that small water holes such as that could be hot spots during the rut when bucks are chaseing does. The deer get hot and thristy. During the rut they could be be there at any time of day.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:28 PM

I would say afternoon, early pm when they come off thier beds in the early season for sure..
Old 08-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would say mid - afternoon for that little honey hole, but if its hot out you should stay all day.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

Maybe like noon to dark, early season
Old 08-09-2006, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since it looks like the opinions are all over theboard here (with the possible exception of sitting all day), you may just want to put up a game cam and see what time the deer are using your new little honey hole.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Spike

all day when its hot and dry
Old 08-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

I personally have not had that situation. I did see a show with it though. They concentrated on evening hunts mostly as they said the deer in the area wanted water before food in the evening. They said it was a good noon stand also. But they emphasized that it was a great pre and start of rut stand because it was a place to check for does and all the searching and chaseing made bucks thirsty.

mello
Old 08-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Buckmasterflex

Morning, night, or set there all day?
If I find me a honey hole, I would take my lunch with me and not move from the spot.

As far as night goes, in Fl it's 1/2hr after sunset only!I go by dailyNational Observatory Time and make sure of sunset in my zone. I don't want to lose my truck, guns hunting license and pay afine, because I tell the Man, oh, I didn't know!

Quick Reply: Your opinions????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.