Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer scent used by Indians

Old 08-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Deer scent used by Indians

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Most of the annecdotal evidence suggests that they more frequently used smoke from a camp fire as cover scent or smeared themselves with mud to absorb and cover their own scent . They also frequently used deer hides from previous kills both as scent cover and camo . If urine was used at all it's a good bet that they either bathed in it or simply doused their footwear to leave a trail . In most cases they just hunted with the wind in their favor or conducted drives .
Right on Kev!
Old 08-09-2006, 02:54 PM

You can't really compare hunting 100's of years ago to hunting in the modern world. There was no were near the pressure on deer at that time, and most likely the numbers in a specific area were lower and the range of the deer much larger (more land, less people). Also they didn't have rules, regulations or seasons. If you were hungry you killed something. They could trap them, snare them, drive them off a cliff, chase them down on a horse, whatever it took to eat. They didn't do it for sport or the challenge.

Heck 50 years ago or so you didn't even need to wear camo or use cover scents. Just go out in a pair of jeans and flannel coat, or your carharts.

Thats my opinion any way.

Paul
Old 08-09-2006, 03:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: CtHunter8

Ive actually heard of that before, Im pretty familiar with Indians and their traditions, history, and hunting techniques. Of course, I come from a long line of family that has always been fighting Indians. My grandfather, when he came to America in 1684 from Canada, killed 26 Indians in one raid, and they burnt down his house 4 different times in 4 different locations.

-Travis-
Squeeze over Squeeze Box! Wonder why they burnt down his house?Let someone come and set-up a camper in your yard and see what you will do?

yeah well they didnt burn down no more houses after he got through with em, that's for sure. I hate how people think we were "so horrible" for fighting the Indians, they were doin a good job of killin eachother LONG before we got here

-Travis-
Old 08-09-2006, 07:25 PM

There not Indians,there Native Americans.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:07 AM
Fork Horn

tomatoe, tomotoe
Old 08-10-2006, 07:35 AM

Ive actually heard of that before, Im pretty familiar with Indians and their traditions, history, and hunting techniques. Of course, I come from a long line of family that has always been fighting Indians. My grandfather, when he came to America in 1684 from Canada, killed 26 Indians in one raid, and they burnt down his house 4 different times in 4 different locations.

-Travis-
Squeeze over Squeeze Box! Wonder why they burnt down his house?Let someone come and set-up a camper in your yard and see what you will do?

yeah well they didnt burn down no more houses after he got through with em, that's for sure. I hate how people think we were "so horrible" for fighting the Indians, they were doin a good job of killin eachother LONG before we got here

-Travis-
I gotta agree with Reb. Your comments on Native Americans are pretty ignorant. The natives of years ago were a great people with a great culture living with the land. Then we came along and showed them a "better way of life". We destroyed the greatest cultures and the greatest way of life in the nameof progress. Time to wake up andadmit that what we, and your grandfather,did to the Native Americans was a tradegy.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

[/quote]
[/quote]

I don't care who you are , that's funny !
Old 08-10-2006, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

The native americans in the temperate zone would bring along bladders as well as some tarsail glands to use much like we do now with attactants and shields that are packaged so nice and neat so we don't get our hands dirty. Like many early people,the North American hunters were some of he most skilled and effective at taking game to provide. Next time you are sittingin your stand in 20 F snowy weather, with your goretek and thinsulate and warmers,think of the indian withhidemoccasins, pants and a fur poncho - and that he would already be taking his meat back home to make jerkey.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Well, I don't know what they used up north, but the Seminoles of Central and South FL, used Pine Sap and Pine Oil. I have used Siberian Pine Oil and wrap my hunting clothes in pieces of Lighter Pine. When hunting in a Pine Forrest you don't wantto smelllike Apples!
Old 08-10-2006, 08:48 AM

ORIGINAL: _Dan

-Travis-

-Travis-
I gotta agree with Reb. Your comments on Native Americans are pretty ignorant. The natives of years ago were a great people with a great culture living with the land. Then we came along and showed them a "better way of life". We destroyed the greatest cultures and the greatest way of life in the nameof progress. Time to wake up andadmit that what we, and your grandfather,did to the Native Americans was a tradegy.
my grandfather did not do anything personally to any Indians, and I woulda done the same darn thing. If anybody doesnt like the way this country was founded, what do you wanna do? give all the land back and move back to England? Us whites did some pretty horrible stuff, I will admit, but we didnt call em "savages" for nothin, it was a 2 way street. Ignorance my rear

-Travis-

Quick Reply: Deer scent used by Indians

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.