Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What are your favorite scents for whitetails? >

What are your favorite scents for whitetails?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What are your favorite scents for whitetails?

Old 08-08-2006, 06:57 AM

Default What are your favorite scents for whitetails?

What scents do you like best and recomend using? At what times of the fall do you recomend using them?
Old 08-08-2006, 07:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What are your favorite scents for whitetails?

Persimmon and apple for does , Active Scrape for bucks . Deer Dander works for both .
Old 08-08-2006, 07:31 AM

Thanks. I've been hunting the regular firearms season since I was 12 but have only fairly recently started Archery hunting. And am mainly targeting nice bucks.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let me tell ya what I discovered last year. I live in Mass. where baiting is not allowed. So I tried something new. I took a burlap sack and put in a bunch of rotting apples (I microvaved them to get them to rot) and let me tell you the deer I saw. I guess they can smell that for a country mile. Last year was the first year I tried this and it worke great so I will try it again this year. Good Luck
Old 08-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Sport 2

What scents do you like best and recomend using? At what times of the fall do you recomend using them?
In Fl, you have to set it out 6 months before the season opens and stay 100yds from it when hunting.

I have Wild Persimmons and Crab Apple trees on my property. Last time I counted I had 49 Persimmon and 9 Crab Apple trees that get loaded in the fall and it is not considered baiting while hunting.

If I am going to hunt off my property, I will 1/4 fill nylon stockings with well ripened and squashedpersimmons and hang them out in the area I'm goingto hunt. It is a magnet for Bucks or Does.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

I use a tarsal gland with dominant buck urine on it and hang it over a mock scrape and then add some Tinks 69 to the scrape. Thats my favorite scents...
Old 08-08-2006, 12:44 PM

I've used doe pee and estrus doe from a couple companies but have not had to many cases that I thought it made any difference. I'll have to try the tarsal gland. Can I buy a product that gives the same affect?
Old 08-08-2006, 07:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

If I am going to hunt off my property, I will 1/4 fill nylon stockings with well ripened and squashedpersimmons and hang them out in the area I'm goingto hunt. It is a magnet for Bucks or Does.
wouldnt this be the same as baiting in FL. just a ? i was told that you have trhe means to bait with this I was going to do somthing tike this for hogs

ICE-MAN
Old 08-08-2006, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Long & Short I go with Rebel on this one.

Another scent(cover)is packing your clothes/boots in construction bag with 2-3 cedar branches. Do the Scent Math on that one.

Apples on boots,clothes,rub on stand etc...etc.... is home run for bringing ANY game to stand!

Good Luck Guys - Bring Back Some Good Stories
Old 08-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Interesting... Never thought ofhaving a food source on me!

but have only fairly recently started Archery hunting.
Just in case you hadn't found it, there's a tremendous wealth of knowledge to be gained about bowhunting in the Bowhunting forum... Click on "All Forums" and I think it's the top one. Just an FYI because I remember years and years ago, it was the first one I found, and I don't think I even realized there were other forums for a long time. [8D]

Quick Reply: What are your favorite scents for whitetails?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.