Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Have You Ever Been Scared In The Woods??? >

Have You Ever Been Scared In The Woods???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Have You Ever Been Scared In The Woods???

Old 08-10-2006, 11:48 AM

Default RE: Have You Ever Been Scared In The Woods???

ORIGINAL: Serioushunter1

After I had killed and removed the largest buck of my life, later on the same day I returned to my stand. There were a couple of idiots standing in a field below where I was hunting. I kept hearing shots fired and "things" whizzing by. Come to find out they were aiming up into the woods where I was hunting with no regards for anything. Needless to say I about wet my pants. I had a few four lettered words for them.
man if that was me, id have some 4 nuckled things for their face, and it'd be my fist. I hate people like that, call themselves "hunters" but have no regard for safety, give us real hunters a bad name

-Travis-
Old 08-10-2006, 11:51 AM

it was the first morning of turkey season about 3 yrs ago. a gobbler had roosted on the edge of the field across from my house the evening before. i walked across the field that morning very early and had not took a light. about halfway across i heard something growling at me about ten steps away. it was pitch black out so i couldnt see it. i yelled at it and it kept growling. now i was spooked for sure so i fired my shotgun in the air one time. a couple seconds later it started growling again in the same place. now i was just plum scared. i walked backwards all the way back home, about a 1/4 mile, with my shotgun shouldered. i never figured out what it was, but i did not go back out without a buddy the rest of the season.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Among the many times I've been a scared in the woods, one incident stands out.

It was Spring Turkey season, about three years ago. I was headed down an old logging road through a creek bottom on the gamelands, looking for anice mountainbird. With my gun slinged, I just trolled down the path, calling and still-hunting my way deeper into the forest, listening up the hollows and across the ridges for a good response.

I crept into an area dense with understory and the creekbed was lined with skunk cabbage. To my left at about 30 yards, I caught some movement - it was a really good-sized bear, munching the leafy greens and minding its own business. It didn't see me, so I watched for a minute andfigured I'll just sneak on by.

I made it about 3 more steps before everything came unwound. Apparently, the bear was a sow with two cubs who were lagging behind, lingering around up by the logging road where I was walking. They saw me and were hiding silently in the brush next just off the path - I didn't see them and had know idea they were there. As I walked by, they both spooked and one of them got tangled up in some grapevines and let out a good bawl.

I swear, it wasn't two seconds and I was just standing there trying to process what was going onand mama was already charging up over the bank.I took oneglance back at her, and she was looking like she might try to kill me. Man, she was plowing straight through the brush like a steamroller. I didn't know what to do, so I just ran as fast as I've ever run - I made it about 15 yards and she was already on the trail, I could hear her closing the distance fast.

I shouldered my gun, hit the safe and turned to fire, with every intent of loading her face with some #4. When I turned around, she had just stopped charging and was standing on the logging roadat about 10 yards, just popping her jaws and looking at me, kinda swinging her head back and forth. I didn't wanna turn my back on her, so I just walked backwards with the bead centered on her brisket. It was pretty obvious at that point that she just wanted to get between me and her cubs. Man was my heart ever pounding. I thought for sure that one of us (me or her) was gonna get hurt.

I've heard stories, but I never really thought a black bear would charge like that. She definitely meant business.

I have no doubt that if that would have happened in the dark, the end result would have been very different.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:14 PM

2 years ago deer hunting in the swamps. I appearantly tore a pretty good hole in the crotch of my waders(cheapies from walmart). I hit a deep spot and them damed waders filled up with cold swamp water! The added weight from the water started making me sink even deeper in the mud. By the time I got turned around and back out there, the water was up to my chin (I'm 6' tall!). I thought I was gonna drown in that stinking swamp! I haven't been back in there since! I cut holes in them so they'd drain, took them off and went without all the way back to the truck. No dry clothes in the truck so I had to drive 2 hours home in wet, stinky clothes. It took 6 months to get that smell out of my seats.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: deerslayer270

no real stories from me yet but i dont know why i always feel uneasy in the woods by myself...if i have my rifle im fine but when im bow huntin or scoutin especially im always freaked...too many horor movies i guess....
No shame, I get that uneasy feeling too. I wish PA would allow a side-arm while bowhunting, but they don't. Instead I carry a big-ass machete with me. Not sure how much protection it really offers, but it makes me feel a little better. I usually tell people it's for cutting thick brush, but it's really there for bears, rabid squirrels, rabid hillbilliesand bigfoot. lol.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Fork Horn

i always expect to look behind me or something and seeing someone just plowing at me (insert wackadoo from "texas chansaw massacre" here) its fine when there are other hunters around me, i dont know where u hunt around here but i usually dont have much of a problem havin guys settin up all around me when i was there since before dawn (man that makes me mad) also my 9'' military knife makes me feel somewhat better, still gunna need somethin a hair bigger for bigfoot....
Old 08-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Every time I bust a dozen roosted turkey while going to and from my deer stands in the dark. Dam! Happens in my Iowa areas a lot.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Northern Minnesota 30 years ago the year after I got out of the Army I cut pulp wood and stayed in the log house that used to be my grandparents alone. No electricity or in door conviences. Woods right up to the house. Clear sky with a billion + stars.
January 35 below zerowith absolutely no wind. Go outside to the "little house" before going to bed. It so cold the trees are popping when they crack.
Then you hear a pack of Timber Wolves hunting a deer they're calling to each other and it gets more intense as you imagine they're closing in to them within 200 yrds of where I'm at stand listening. Then they startup what must be the final push and likely have the deer. Constant unearthly wild noises the pack makes, almost like sirens in continuous frenzy.
Then it's over.
Better get back in quick to the warm log house. Put another piece of wood in the stove and try to go to sleep after that!
Old 08-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

i was hunting with my dad and i had to go to the bathroomso we left when i left the blind elther my dad or snapped a twig wr i stepped on one sause i heard a crack then i see aneight point buck jump ten yards away from me and bolt i just stood there with my mouth open.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

some times i stay after a lil late in my stand without a flashlight and i hear noises that scare the crap outa me but i just keep on keepin on and hope i dont break a leg

Quick Reply: Have You Ever Been Scared In The Woods???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.