Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to not jump deer?

Old 07-24-2006, 02:32 PM

Default How to not jump deer?

I've been scouting two days and jumped three does and two bucks. How do you guys see them before they see you? I've had them jump from creeks and under trees less than twenty yards from me. Also do you think they will return to the areas that they were in?
Old 07-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How to not jump deer?

walk slow...watch where your walking..walk on the balls of your feet...and check around corners before proceeding
Old 07-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mergrath337
Also do you think they will return to the areas that they were in?
I think it depends on where you hunt. meaning are the deer used to being spooked by humans every now and then or it it where humans are very few...in farm country dont worry about it, deer are used to human scent enough the idea of spooking a buck out of the country or making him going nocturnal from a chance meeting is not true
Old 07-24-2006, 05:54 PM

The areas thatI hunt are pretty much right off of seasonal dirt roads. I wouldn't say they are use to seeing humans but it is almost impossible to hike through the brush around here without making allot of noise. That's why I stick to the trails and dirt roads. What's crazy is that I was looking right at him and didn't even see him until he jumped. Maybe I'm just going too fast? It was 102 and humid yesterday! Would it be better to just go to a spot and sit until they come out? One of the deer I spooked yesterday had atleast 6-points which is a huge trophy around here, and that's why I'm freaking out a bit.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Try to be as quiet as possible. They will return...
Old 07-24-2006, 06:04 PM

What kind of area are you scouting? Farmland? Big timber?
Old 07-24-2006, 06:54 PM

It's allot of oak trees mixed with some smaller pines that were planted a couple years ago after a fire swept through the area. The ground is covered with crunchy oak leaves and accorn shells.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

When your out scouting around your woods , walk as if you where still hunting you know the old stop - n - stalk routine.
Ilike to go out after a good rain when everything is wet and soft that way when you step on leaves and twigs they don't make noise.
Go slow and take your time, look at everything real good wait a while then take a few more steps.
If you do bump a deer just stop, wait awhileand watch remember where that deer was and on the way back out stop to see if thatdeer came back.
Don't forget to take notes and mark your map, good luck.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:55 PM

Become one with the deer! walk like they do, not like a human! In other words eat alot of leaves walk on all fours and change the way you smell!
Old 07-24-2006, 09:08 PM

Is it not a little strange that they let me practicaly walk right on top of them without me really not trying to be quiet? I was just trying to find some sign and maybe see a few from a distance. The dirt road/trail I was on was a little sandy and was very quiet to walk on but I'm sure I could have been alot quieter.

Quick Reply: How to not jump deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.