Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 01-12-2002, 07:22 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-12-2002, 07:29 PM

Default RE: Ethical question,

10,000 acres or 20 acres, the deer are still penned up. That is a lot of land, but I think of it as a canned hunt. If it has fences, the deer aren't free to roam, thus making it a shooting gallery, in my mind. But that's just what I think.
~Cody
Old 01-12-2002, 07:33 PM

If they need to kill 200+ does the fence is pretty high and 10,000 acres is alot of land.Considering a does home range is "about" 200 acres and a bucks "about" 600 acres when not in rut i would consider it fair chase.Ever chased a whitetail across 10,000 acres.That would be one hell of a stroll.Opinions are gonna vary so i just gave mine.I only wish could do that sort of thing.
Old 01-12-2002, 07:36 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-12-2002, 08:02 PM

Sounds like an over populated herd that needs to be culled. That's a large piece of real estate, kinda hard to corner one.
Old 01-12-2002, 08:17 PM

i think its partially canned.
Old 01-12-2002, 08:23 PM

There aint a dang thing wrong with what you just described regards to the property and whether it is a legitimate hunt.
Large scale fencing is a legitimate tool to manage one's property, I'd bet that half the people that complain about fencing have fenced in back yards. You may not be hunting in your backyard but you are "managing" your property from unwanted intruders, same as the owner of a hunting preserve. I wonder how many anti-fencers actually hunt lease land verses public land? Or land surrounded by a dog hunting club? Until you put your $$ down on a deer lease and then see some poacher/trespasser encroaching on you and what you are trying to accomplish then you should reserve judgement on things that you have no knowledge of.
I hunt a club that has 3 seperate parcels of land. One parcel is 1400 acres and I gaurantee you that if it was fenced it wouldn't help me one bit to harvest a deer. It sure would be nice to keep the trespassers and dog hunters from coming on the property though.
There has to be some minimum acreage requirements though, how many I don't know for sure, maybe 1000. In SC there was recent discussions by the wildlife dept. regards to high fencing and for the time being it has been decided that it's not something that will be done in the state. That's okay with me, no problem at all. The only reason I responded to this thread is because I grow weary of some of our friends here on the board calling a fenced, 10,000 acre hunting preserve a canned hunt. To those that think this I can only smile and shake my head, how naive you are.

Mark in SC
Old 01-12-2002, 09:25 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-12-2002, 10:01 PM

Well those fences keep some of those "Good Ole Boys" off your property so they dont feal the need to sneek off a shot over the fence line and if they do I hope they have strong backs. Id also have to make a consideration of how high the fence is in the first place. Ive seen some bucks jump some pretty high ones, but usually the result is an all of a sudden halt on their breeding abilities.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

A 10000 acre ranch is a region!

That is one big chunk of property......I don't think any of us can really answer this question with authority.

I certainly wouldn't want to guarantee anyone they would kill a trophy inside an area that large.

Interesting topic, bgidd.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.