Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A few questions from new guy

Old 11-04-2002, 01:57 PM

Default A few questions from new guy

Have read your posts and you guys seem like a great group. I am new to hunting. I will be shotgun hunting deer in Carroll county Illinois the weekends before and after thanksgiving. Obviously I have a lot of questions and a lot to learn. Unfortunately I don't have anyone exprienced at deer hunting to guide me.

Can someone recommend a good video on deer hunting for beginners? It seems like there are a lot of them out there. I want something that will be instructional not just scenes of deer kills.

Is a tree stand a necessity? I understand that it improves my chances but if I hunt from the ground, do I stand a chance or am I wasting my time?

Finally, is it possible to have a deer tested for CWD privately?

Thanks in advance for your help. Keep up the good work.

Robert
Old 11-04-2002, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A few questions from new guy

welcome aboard!...the only question i can asnwer is the treestand one...its not a nessisity...it helps keep your scent from the deer and out of their eye level so you can get away with some moving sometimes...i hunt from the ground and see many deer..just keep your clothes as scent free as possible and you should be ok..just dont move alot and be quiet...you dont need all the fancy scent stuff just let it sit out side for a few days to cath the breeze out of rain and such of course...thats about all i do..and if they ever need washed wash in plain water...

Old 11-04-2002, 11:31 PM

Thanks for the detailed info. Every little bit helps.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:34 AM

Try and find some deer trails,buck rubs,scrapes etc.It always helps to scout an area before you hunt it.If you have a few days to hunt use the first day to look for sign.Move very slow,look for any movement no matter how small.It may be a bird or an ear of a deer.

GUNS AND KNOWLEDGE ARE THE BEST PROTECTION AGAINST TERRORISM
Old 11-05-2002, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

berto, treestands are not REQUIRED by any means. I won't get in one (and I've got ALOT set around the farm I hunt) unless I'm absolutely wide awake! If I'm up there and feel even SLIGHTLY drowzy I get down. I actually favor ground blinds a bit more. Nothing like the "V" of a great big deadfall. On the ground you can rotate a heck of alot more than in atreestand where your rotation is limited.

I hunt Johnson County. Leave 11/20 am. I've heard alot of good stuff about Carroll (i.e. big bucks). Good luck this season.

Now....."Go Get Ya One!"

Uncle Matt
Old 11-05-2002, 08:19 AM

A treestand is not a must. I can give you one other pointer, you did not specify if you were hunting with buckshot or slugs. If buckshot, I find 00 buckshot to be the best with a modified choke. It throws a real tight pattern. I don't know of any videos right off hand, but if you go to the hunting.net site, go to deer hunting on the little tab at the top and it will walk you through everything from shot placement, to skinning, to cooking. Hope it helps a little.

RYAN SMITH
Old 11-05-2002, 12:33 PM

Thanks guys, your advice is much appreciated. Ryan, here in Illinois we're not allowed to shoot buckshot at deer so I will be shooting slugs. I was out hunting turkeys the previous weekend and saw a lot of deer (mostly does), probably need to go into the woods to find the bucks. So yes, Carroll county does have a large deer population and I should get a good look at a few if I'm not a total amateur.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Treestand have a purpose and if the area is condusive they are good. I am a ground hunter, except bears. I prefer to be able to move at any time, with the proper setup you can get right up with the deer.

I agree the key to is finding the right spot or spots. Look for trails, intersections, meadows in bush, funnels, rubs, scrapes...really anything that tells you deer are in the area and like it. Hunt the wind, keep it on your nose or the very least cheek at all times. If you know the trails then you should have a good idea where the deer come from or go, Set up to the advantage of you and wind. I prefer to get back as far as I can and shot confidentally with any weapon...just gives you more room for error.

Old 11-05-2002, 02:41 PM

Berto, if you have seen many does in your area, like you said when you were turkey hunting stay in that area. The rut is coming soon, and it should be in peak rut when you are hunting. During rut, the bucks come looking for the does, you dont have to go looking for the bucks deeper in the woods, they will find the does. Just stay camoflauged and try to stay as scent free as possible. And remember, deer have very keen eyesight, so try to stay as still as possible.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:23 PM

Welcome to the board Berto.....When ground hunting,like mentioned before keep yourself and your clothing scentfree is the most important thing.I like to use deadfalls,crawl right into them and let them camo you.Try not to go into an area blind.Scout around and find trails,Rubs or scrapes.And set up 20 yds downwind.On the ground i really believe using a headnet to cover your face is a big plus.

It's not how big the Deer,But the size of the experiance that matters!!

Quick Reply: A few questions from new guy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.