Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shooting deer

Old 07-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default shooting deer

If someone ask to hunt your peice of land. You let them hunt. Is it alright to say they can only kill so many deer. Cant shoot any buck less then 6 points etc?
Old 07-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: shooting deer

Well, if its your land why shouldnt you be able to set the conditions of how that person hunts? On my farm I require the guys who bow hunt to shoot a doe before they take a buck.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you are well within your rights as the land owner to set some ground rules for them to hunt. If they hope to get the opportunity to continue to hunt that property, it would behoove them to follow those rules.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

You bet..........
I personally have no problem with landowners placeing restrictions on their land...
I know of one fellow who only allows a handfull of hunters hunt on his land
through out the season....One at a time...
Depending on if and what is harvested, and what has woundered in from elsewhere,determines what the next hunter takes....
This area has quality size animals on it but it only has it because of the genetics left behind....
There has been a couple of time where my friends have hunted there during the general deer season,and I have beenTOLD to harvest only particularanimals that are week in the gene-pool such as mature size 2 points and others that are not up to his standards..
I do it cause I want this area to be the best it canit can be...
Secondly I'm a little afraid if I don't the next time I'll be told noooooooooooo...

Old 07-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Your land/lease, they can either abide by your rules or they can go on down the road.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:24 PM

That is the way it was where I gun hunted up until last year. Had to have at least 4 points on one side, had to be over a year old and I couldn't shoot any does. And one deer a season.

I was happy to be hunting there. Unfortunately he is going thru a divorce and having some hard times so he doesn't want anyone hunting there anymore. Something about he had to drop his liability insurance and doesn't want to risk one of us getting hurt on his property. It blows for me but I understand where he is coming from. I was glad to get the years out of it I did.

Paul
Old 07-22-2006, 10:16 PM

normally don't invite hunters,our county has a six point or better rule, if the buck isn't a mountable buck, he walks, unless he has bad genes,
Old 07-23-2006, 02:04 AM
Typical Buck

DEFINATELY!

The hardest thing would be enforcing it if you arent close friends witht the person.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

if its your land you have every right to set the rules. if they don't want to comply they can hunt elsewhere
Old 07-23-2006, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

The first time I hunted land that had rules I was more than willing comply. The only rule I had to follow was no bucks..... hard to swallow. He was a good buddy and we hunted on the same days in different stands. One day when we were heading back to the house after not seeing anything, we saw a big mature doe about 30yds away. I raised my muzzleloader and took aim, slowly cocked the hammer and was ready to fire....... my buddy told me not to shoot[:@]..... his neighbour would get mad. I haven't hunted w/him since. But I followed the rules.
I also hunted land in sw MB and the land owner was a little more straight. Rules were no basket bucks, if you want meat shoot a doe. Take what you shoot, I guess one year somebody was seen kicking snow over the body of a fresh kill (too small) and he never hunted there again. When they found out I had never taken a buck they lifted theno basket buck rule for a one time thing. God works in mysterious ways.... I misfired on the same buck 5x's, but eventually took a real nice doe on the last day. The next year I took a dandy 8point w/10" G2's and shot a doe on my antlerless tag. Too bad they sold the land.
Follow the rules and more than likely you will be invited back. If you don't you will be looking for new land sooner than you think. Bad news travels and your name may become mud in certain areas.

Quick Reply: shooting deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.