Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

WHAT WOULD BE BETTER FOR FIRST TIME HUNTER

Old 07-15-2006, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: WHAT WOULD BE BETTER FOR FIRST TIME HUNTER

Great thread!!

I would've probably asked this question here before long myself!

My opinion...

I'm going to start my son off with my ole Model 94 30/30. I want him to be proficient with open sights before I introduce him to a scoped rifle. At the age of 10-12 I think that it would be easy to get so caught up in "buck (or doe) fever" that he/she could have trouble finding the deer in a scope, and open sights would just eliminate that worry. Again, just my opinion.
I have a couple of scoped 22's and we'll spend some serious range time shooting, and then after a couple of years when he's ready to move up to the next level, I'll buy hima nice 270.

Good luck with the boy!!
Old 07-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lovethebigguns

Great thread!!

I would've probably asked this question here before long myself!

My opinion...

I'm going to start my son off with my ole Model 94 30/30. I want him to be proficient with open sights before I introduce him to a scoped rifle. At the age of 10-12 I think that it would be easy to get so caught up in "buck (or doe) fever" that he/she could have trouble finding the deer in a scope, and open sights would just eliminate that worry. Again, just my opinion.
I have a couple of scoped 22's and we'll spend some serious range time shooting, and then after a couple of years when he's ready to move up to the next level, I'll buy hima nice 270.

Good luck with the boy!!
Actually, I found the opposite to be true with my daughter and step son. They did much better with a scope.

Just get a couple bricks of .22's, a scoped rifle and take them to the range several times. Kids learn quickly.

I tied an empty soda bottle to the end of a fishing line and set it out at about 40 yds. I'd reel it a little and stop. Reel a bit more and stop. All along the kids would try to hit it when I'd stop reeling. This taught them to find their target in the scope and get off a shot.

Several trips to the range, and they got really good.

Old 07-15-2006, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks a lot Windwalker7!!

I have a couple of years before my boy will be carrying a gun, but what you said makes sense to me!

I'll give it a try.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cardeer

When I was 9 my dad shoved a 8 MM in my arms.Said if I come home without a deer I get my butt beat. He gave me one bullit. I came home empty handed and got gun butt beat over the head.
I hope that taught you a lesson
Old 07-15-2006, 10:00 PM

I agree with windwalker about the 30-30 not being the safest gun for a new hunter. I remember being twelve in Pa and the hammer was really not a good thing for me to have. I swore I would never start my kids with a gun with a hammer. Just not safe for a kid. I know thousands of people started with a 30-30, but in my opinion it's not the best.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cold fingers, a cocked hammer and kids are a bad combination.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Fork Horn

i started with the trusty ole 30-30 and i had the decision of 3 rifles to take out that year... 30-30 marlin, 243 pump action or a 35 rem pump....35 rem jammed up 2 easily in the cold and ice, and the 30-30 seemed a better and safer choice at the time, itmay not be the safest with the hammer but at least you know when that hammer is down its not gonna go off...i know first year hunters get a lil trigger happy when they see that deer and the safety on the trigger ofthat gun is NOT as reliable as a hammer at half cock.....just my opinion...plus that way you can look over and easily see if he forgot to let the hammer down or forgot to pull it back before the shot....
Old 07-16-2006, 09:38 AM

last year was my daughters 1st year ., we got her a .243 .,about 3 years ago ., and we have been practicing for 3 years with that gun., so when it came time to the hunt ., she was ready ,.and she knocked one down .,im glad i went with the .243 bolt because she really did get the heepie geebies when she shot ., i did have to help her steady the shooting stick cause she was a shaking ., just my 2 cents worth.,good luck on your choice
Old 07-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

243 - reason - less kick more accuracy - drawback will be knock down power -on the other handa well placed shot will produce - this buck was taken with a 243 - the gun is a short model bolt action used by prison guards!

Old 07-16-2006, 02:34 PM

Last fall, my son took his first 2 deer (the 2 on the right). Remington Model 7 Youth .223 - He was 8 at the time.

I have since updated to a .243 due to lack of "knock down" power of the .223.

The upside is I now have a dedicated varmint rifle in the .223.

Quick Reply: WHAT WOULD BE BETTER FOR FIRST TIME HUNTER

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.