Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ethical

Old 07-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ethical

Ok - you shoot a huge buck - he jumps the fence onto a bordering property - It was a clean shot - no doubt this deer can be harvested - one problem - the property owner of the neighboring land does not allow hunting and will most likely collect you deer. What to do - Keep in mind this guy is a little crazy when it comes to other people crossing the fence! This come from another hunter who in fact lost his deer to the property owner before - Even if you call the owner it will most little get out of control - What would you do? Just curious
Old 07-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ethical

To be honest, if I thought I could sneak across the fence and retrieve the deer I would. If I got caught I'd suffer the consequences. I'd pay the fine or explain the circumstances to the land owner if I got caught red handed.

By the way, the phrase "Caught red handed" came from just that.
Back in the day, the kings of the world owned all the land and all the animals on the land. Sometimes the peasants would shoot one of the king's deer to feed their family. They would get caught with the deerand caught with bloodstains still on their hands, hence the phrase, " Caught red handed "
Old 07-12-2006, 07:22 PM

I agreee with WindWalker...if you sneak across the fence to take the deer, you aint harmin nothin. Id sneak over there without even thinkin about it, you didnt do anything wrong, and it's the other guy's problem that he's a jerk.

-Travis-
Old 07-12-2006, 07:22 PM

Good question. I am curious as to what others have to say. In kansas and Missorui if the land owner has purple paint posted along the boundy or the property, if a game warden catches you on it he can arrest you with no questions asked. That is unless you have written permission.

Last year I was very tempted to set up on the the edge of properity I could hunt, the adjent property had purple paint up. There was a 160" brute of a buck bedding 125 yards from the other porperty. In the evening's he would feed along the bean field and then into the corn. As much as I wanted to, I never set up there because it was going to be 3/4 of a mile hike one way to get there without the deer knowing it. I could not make the hike. So I hunted him on other propery's I knew he roamed. Didn't get the deer.

But if I could make the hike and set up directly on the property line... Should I do so knowing that I would mostly likely have to recover the deer on the other farmers land???? What would you do?
Old 07-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Ok - To make things more interesting - the deer that was taken in 05 is already posted on the website under this years deer - again - does this make your choice easier? You already know my decision - what would you do? I value ethical hunting and harvesting an animal that you shot is part of the hunting experience - and for me it is my ethical dutyto harvest the deceased animal and eat! Taking that in mind - this is risky business - I know - get to know your neightbor - not happening in this situation!
Old 07-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

I believe I would try sneaking in there to retrieve the deer even if it was a doe .......
Old 07-12-2006, 07:41 PM

Sorry guys but I don't agree. If you hunt close to property that you are not allowed on you should respect that. First I would set up away from the line to reduce the chance the deer would go across to the prohibited land. If he did cross the line then it would be time to visit the game warden and tell him about the event. Then let the chips fall where they may. If the land owner gets the deer then you accept the fact you did all you could. The land owner has a right to his opinion just as I do.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

I would call the landowner; explain to him what happened; and hope he would show me the respect I just showed to him.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

Ok - you can see the deer - he is five feet across the fence - you can almost reach the massive antlers by leaning against the fence - one more inch - sticking to the ethics?
Old 07-12-2006, 07:48 PM

Get a rope around them antlers and drag him over.

Quick Reply: Ethical

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.