Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 latest issue of deer and deer hunting magazine >

latest issue of deer and deer hunting magazine

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

latest issue of deer and deer hunting magazine

Old 07-08-2006, 12:16 PM

Default latest issue of deer and deer hunting magazine

OK I want everyones opinion on this issue I am about to discuss. I am a little hot under the collar about this article i justr read and want to see how everyone else feels. I am sending a letter to the editor that will hopefully get back to the author and maybe even the readers recoil page.
If you have this issue it starts on page 7. Craig Dougherty "Act like you have been there"
He goes on to completely bash those who celebrate after making a kill. Me mainly targeted the TV shows, but everyone was on his dinner plate. I completely disagree with this article. If he is so cold to not do a fist pump or put a big ole grin on his face he shouldnt be hunting. Hunting is a thrill and a harvest is an accomplishment no matter how many animals you harvest. Why not be happy and celebrate a little?

REACT TO ME
Old 07-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: latest issue of deer and deer hunting magazine

The point he is trying to get across is that those emotions are "SHOWBIZ" emotions. If they were natural emotions you could spot them. You can tell the difference when it's real and when it's not. When you are alone or with a buddy hunting and make a successful kill, record your reactions only in your mind without a camera on you. That is what you are truly feeling. It's not about a production when there's no one else around. It's you, the deer, the woods, and God. You won't put on such a big show in that scenario. Save the showboating for when you're hangin with the guys telling deer stories. Just MHO on where I think he was directing this article.

LT
Old 07-08-2006, 12:28 PM

When I harvest a deer or animal I normally take time to reflect after I get to it. I will take a few moments (sometimes 5 minutes or more) to get my thoughts and thank the good Lord for what he has provided for me. That animal was alive before I decided to pull that trigger, he/she spent a lot of days on this earth and I take the time to think about all of that. I am not one to jump up and down and whoop and hollar but, I do get excited. I will throw my fist in the air and give a "YES!!" or something along those lines. I have not read the article so I can't comment on it but, I don't think that I should tell anyone how to react to anything. I wouldn't want anyone to tell me that my way is wrong either. Remeber that those articles are written to get people fired up and I think it worked with you. I think that you should write a letter to the magazine and let them know how you feel. Remember to be profesional about it though.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting
Old 07-08-2006, 12:36 PM

Louisiana...I do see that point, but thats the way it is sometimes... When it comes to TV not everything is caught at the exact moment. I dont think for one second any of the hunting shows I watch, the guys have to make an effort to seem excited. Yes some are done after the shot and you can kind of tell sometimes, but only if you are looking for it. They get excited as anyone else whe they make their harvest.. This guy says everyone who does this should be ashamed of theirself, not just the TV shows.. Im not starting a war here, it just hit me that way...

Tigerfan...Im in the middle of a letter as I type this..

Thanks for your opinions...They are respectfully noted!
Old 07-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I understand how you feel and I myself am one to get excieted about making the shot.
When it comes to recovering the prize I take time to give thanks and to pray for the deers spirt.
It only seems like the respectable thing to do.
Call me crazy, its been before but it was the way I was bought up.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:18 PM

I read the article last night and I was a little put off by it as well, but, people are entitled to different opinions...........
Old 07-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to say, I've taken alot of deer in my lifetime and I've never felt the need to pump my fist in the air or jump up and down after making a kill.

When I see that on TV or in videos I have to laugh.I've hunted with several people over the years, and all show their excitement in different ways but none act like those guys do. Its almost fake in my opinion.

I remember seeing a video with bob Folkrod. He was acting all excited after taking a deer. Now come on. The guys taken game all over the world and probably taken hundreds of whitetails. I've taken alot but not even close to what he's taken. It has to be an act in my opinion.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

well i dont know how people cant get excited when you make the kill it means all your hard work has paid off.all the ends have come together and its time to celebrate
Old 07-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personaly believe in showing the deer some respect after killing it. Not that I don't get excited but plenty of time for celebrating later. I know there are some video hunts I have where the guy is high fiving the camera man and all smiles after gut shooting a beautiful buck that died what most likely was a long and painful death. That is wrong.....
Old 07-11-2006, 01:51 AM
Typical Buck

Well, with the whole TV thing its a little different. Some of the time, they will cut out while they go look for their deer probably. It might not make for good television for a hunter to hit a deer and then they cant find the dang thing when the film clearly shows a hit. So some of the time, the hunters, who have done it a MILLION times, have already found the deer, and then they will back out about 50 feet so it looks like they are still looking for it. Then they turn the camera back on and hollywood comes with it. The hunter is like, "Hey, that might be the deer over there!" Then they go over and act surprised and whatnot, you have all seen it.

As for the article, he can just piss off(pardon my language). Everytime I have got a deer, my heart wouldnt stop beating for about an hour. You can bet when I got my deer this year, which was the first real big deer I have got in my 10 years hunting, I did AT LEAST a first pump. I remember the shot dropped him right there, so I didnt have to worry about trying to follow where he ran. I sat there, kind of in awe, with my throat in my heart. I really couldnt breathe. Then about after 5 minutes when I was pretty sure the deer had expired, I let out a big "YES!!!" And a couple fist pumps ensued. I also checked my gun to make sure it was on safety and hooked to the safety rope. Then I unzipped all of my coveralls and unbuttoned my undershirts and looked for my cell phone to call my dad. Before this year, I had never actually been deer hunting without him. Since I picked up bowhunting this year, alot of time was spent alone. This was also the first time shotgun hunting without either him or my brother. I was out all alone on our property with not many hunters even in the area because of the terrible cold. You can bet I celebrated! I was so pumped I even loaded the deer up myself. He had to weigh at least 230 lb live weight and it was not fun in the cold. I actually got really sick that night, probably because a mix of the cold and sweat and excitement.

Sorry about the length, but you can bet I celebrated. I also believe that you arent going to celebrate, in a respectful way, then you shouldnt be out there. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: latest issue of deer and deer hunting magazine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.