Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What size canoe

Old 07-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default What size canoe

What size canoe would be best for one person deerhunting.It would have to be able to hold my gear of course.I just don't want one that is too long.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:28 PM

Default RE: What size canoe

id say a big one. my dad has an old towne with the stabilizing floats and he uses it when he shoots coyotes in maine and he loads that thing down.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on how you want to use it, but a 14 or 15 ft. canoe would be good. If you are going to shoot out of it, you'll need something wider. If it is your transport to your secret spot, a narrower one paddles more efficiently. If you get them too short, they paddle like bathtubs. Unless you're paddling mostly lakes, make sure you get one without a keel. In a flowing water situation, manuevering with a keel is a pain in the @$$.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:47 AM

A narrow canoe is more agile and a wider one is more stable. If you are on flat water go with stablity, you don't want to be pulling out your canoe and your deer if you tip over.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:56 AM

You can find a one person canoe in the 10'-12' range. Anything longer will be a two person canoe.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

I use a 17 ft canoe when I do anytype of camping and hunting. But its a NO NO to shoot while in any type of boat, canoe etc. Here in Indiana it is illegal to shoot from a water vessel. check your state regulations...
Old 07-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you are doing your hunting in a small stream area a 14'7"
will do the job fine. On the bigger rivers or lakes I like to use
a 17'4" canoe. Both of mine are Old Town canoes and are made
for most any situation. The 14'7" is an Old Town Guide canoe
and is fairly wide on the bottom so it is pretty stable. The other
is an Old Town Discovery and wide on the Bottom.
As VA Head Hunter stated it also needs to be considered

how much stuff you would be packing with you.
Good Luck
Old 07-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Fork Horn

Just doing float trips on small lakes.Just enough gear for a day or two.No rivers.Lakes no bigger than 5 miles.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

You would need one with a keel on it and the 14'7" would be good
you are by yourself. You would need to put a bag of sand or a large
rock in the bow to keep the wind from blowing it around on you. If 2
I would use the bigger one but the 14'7" would do the trick.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

Phil has given some good info. I have a 17' aluminium Grumman. It's considered the Chevy Suburban of canoes, the kind they use at scout camps. I know there are other canoes that are more manuverable but for the lakes and and river mouths it works fine. I find it to be very stable as long as I do my part. I've had it in some pretty serious white caps when I got caught in the middle of a lake and it did well. While it's shiny silver shell doesn't lend well to hunting, it can hold a ton of gear.Some of the canoes that phil mentioned are rated up to 700-900 lbs. Take a look at the rating. Load your gear to the front and middle and paddle from the back or middle. Make sure you account for the weight of the deer you might bring back. When my son and I go out I load the gear to the front and middle to balance out the load, since I have 100 lbs on him. I've had the wife and 4 kids, plus fishing gear, food and water in the canoe without any problems. My beast is rated to around 900 - 1000 lbs.

I envy your trip. Good luck.

Spud

Quick Reply: What size canoe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.