Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
The monkey is off my back!!!!! >

The monkey is off my back!!!!!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The monkey is off my back!!!!!

Old 11-02-2002, 11:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default The monkey is off my back!!!!!

Got my first bow kill yesterday afternoon!!! Got on my stand about 4:15pm and got settled in. Well there was really
nothing moving except chipmunks for at least 45 minutes, then I started to hear something back in the woods, but a
good ways off, then silence again. Now the sun has just gone down and I have maybe 20 minutes of decent shooting
light left, I do one soft cold doe bleat, figuring what the hack there is so little time, may as well give it a shot. Well
now I am down to about 10 minutes of good light and slowly stand to stretch a little before the final 10 minutes
before the walk out. I caught some movement to my right and see it is a doe walking from my right to my left, I
freeze and when she puts her head down I pick up my bow and drop slowly to one knee. I look and she is out of my
right hand shooting lane, but getting ready to enter my left hand lane, there is a tree between me and her so I come
to a full draw, she enters the lane broadside at about 20-22 yards, I settle the pin on her shoulder, give a bleat with
my mouth, she freezes, I release, she drops a little and the arrow strikes her a little high and forward, she dropped
like a ton of lead bricks!! WOOOOOHHHHOOOOOOO!!!!! I think silently as I nock another arrow, because the first one
is sticking straight up into air, with from what I could tell only about 6 inches in her, yet she never moved, well I set
the bow down and lite a long awaited cigarrete to start waiting, I had only taken a few draws when I saw movement
again to my right!! I think "No way" another one enters my right shooting lane, when I dropped the cigarette she
went to full alert, but then calmed down and started to feed again, I leaned forward to grab the bow, she was at
about 15-18 yards broadside and as I stood and started to draw on her she bolted!!! Oh well I already have one
down and out and considering I had to come to work today one is enough for now. I finished the cigarette and picked
up my bow and slowly walked towards her, I noticed her breathing a little yet no movement at all, I eased up to within
10 feet and put one more through the boiler room and all was well. I walked back to my stand, got my stuff and
walked back to the truck, drove home, less than 1/4 mile, got the twins and brought them back with me to get the
deer. When we got to her I figured out why she had gone down so hard, when the spitfire had hit a little high and
forward it had angled off the shoulder blade and busted through her spine right above the shoulder blades!!! Man
those spitfires knock one heck of a hole in them and shatterered the vertabrae!

The twins were pumped, we knelt beside her and all three of us layed our hands on her head and thanked God for his
gift of her to us. I was glad I had brought them to help the old man because I had forgotten my hand truck that I
use to get them in the bed of the truck. Man she was a load, she dressed at about 120. This was the first time the
twins had seen a fresh kill and I wanted to take them through the whole process, we loaded her, took her to the
checking station which is only a mile away, checked her, brought her back home to the back shed. I showed them
step by step how to hang the deer, field dress it and skin it. They loved it, they wanted to know what everything
they saw was. Just for those who might say something in regards to me not field dressing her right away, it was less
than an hour from the time I hit the release till I was hanging her to field dress her and I have always found it a lot
easier and neater to field dress one as I am hanging them. I was amazed at the amount of fat she had on her
considering how bad the drought was in my area this year. This coming Monday is opening day of black powder so
maybe I will get my first black powder kill this year also.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 11-02-2002, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: The monkey is off my back!!!!!

Congrats on your first bowkill!! I got my first with a bow last year, and what a great feeling that was. Good luck on your Black powder hunt also....Jeff

Old 11-02-2002, 12:21 PM
Spike

Congrats Taz! sounds like a great memory for you and the kids. Hope she tates as sweet as the experience. One more week for me-will be at Highland WMA Veteran's day. Good Luck monday!

Old 11-02-2002, 06:54 PM

CONGRATS N THE DER MAN I AM HAPPY FOR YOU
Old 11-02-2002, 07:14 PM

Great job Taz! But do you really want the smoker or the bow?
Again, congrats.
Old 11-02-2002, 07:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

jetblast I want it ALL!!!!! I have taken deer with bow, rifle, shotgun, now I want one with a smokepole!!!! I will probably never be happy, after the smokepole I will probably want one with a recurve and if they were legal in Va. I would try a spear!!!!! LOL

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 11-02-2002, 08:17 PM

That's the spirit!!!!