Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Something to think about

Old 06-30-2006, 01:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Something to think about

The report that this graph comes from is somewhat long , but a definite wake up call regarding camo choices and blaze orange .

How animals see color compared to humans
Old 06-30-2006, 01:44 PM

Default RE: Something to think about

If deer can not see blaze orange, and you wear blaze orange in the woods. Then are you invisible to the deer?
Old 06-30-2006, 04:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Oops, wrong place!
Old 06-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Old 07-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Dominant Buck

It is funny but I have been spotted by deer while wearing blaze orange and other times they seem to be looking right through me. I feel orange works the best when there is snow for some reason.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

If any of you have old black and white photos of you or grandpa posing with a deer, you will notice the orange hat or vest looks white. I'd think that maybe when there is snow on, that deer find it harder to spot a hunter as opposed to spotting a hunter with no snow on. That white hat and vest( to a deer's eyes ) would stick out against a dark background.

Just my observation.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's an example of me with a orange hat and vest photographed in the snow

Old 07-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Some of you are making the supposition that deer see only B&W when they do in fact see some colors , notably blue , green , and yellow. According to that graph they can see the high end of orange too , and you cannot make blaze orange without using a UV brightener . Last year I shot a spike that looked directly at me while I was wearing a blaze orange cap , and he never even blinked, so I'm forced to assume that he didn't view an orange object that didn't move as being a threat . UV killer would knock down the UV reflection anyway . My point was that we spend oodles of cash on camo that pleases and fools our own eye , but probably doesn't fool a deer at all. My favorite pattern is a tie between Realtree Hardwoods or Natural Gear , but I could just as easily be wearing an outfit in varying shades of yellow and be invisible to a deer according to the graph. Degree of contrast would appear to be the deciding factor regardless of the color scheme unless you're wearing blue or move while they look at you .Blue is an unusual color in nature , and movement will invariably get you busted because it's threatening . The graph also reinforces why our forebeares were able to wear a red plaid coat and stay invisible , to a deer it looks grey and blends with the rest of the grey in the background . I don't know about the rest of you , but I'm starting to feel like a real sucker for buying all these patterned "realistic" camo clothing. I've had deer approach to within feet of me wearing ordinary Woodland camo Army clothing , and I paid a lot less for that thanmost of the so called high tech camo I've bought over the years .
Old 07-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Kev, for people who don't believe this, let them buy a Black Light, go into the bed room,lay their hunting clothes on the bed, turn off the lights, shine the Black light on their clothes and watch them glow! All clothing, even hunting clothes are dyed with UV enhancing dyes.

Spray them with UV Killer and then trythe above again! Theareas you missed with the UV Killer will glow.