Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 11-01-2002, 07:41 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-01-2002, 09:54 PM

Default RE: Are deer color blind?

Just read an article on this.
"Deer are probably like a person with red-green color blindness, which means they can see blue and into the yellow-orange range, but probably can't distinguish green and red or see as deeply into the color spectrum as we do."... "It's pretty safe to say that blaze orange doesn't stand out to a deer, so there's absolutely no excuse not to wear it."..."Deer probably don't possess the yellow filter humans have to protect our eyes from ultraviolet light damage. If that's the case they may perceive blue better thean we do."

I hope this helps. The full article is in the november edition of Field and Stream
Old 11-02-2002, 12:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have heard blaze orange looks in the grey shade to deer, but don't really know. I have read and heard many say the see only white, gray and black shades...but yet others like the previous poster mentioned. All I know for sure is they don't see colour and shades like we do. They see alot of UV spectrum, hence why guys buy UV killer wash or suggest air drying clothing. These UV's are not caused by bright clothing, just some of our washing and drying material greaten the effect.(brightener's in luandry soap and such)

Old 11-02-2002, 01:09 AM

The truth is that no one knows. Until someone morphs into a deer and tells us whether or not he can see colors we still won't know. If you're asking if deer can see blaze orange I'll say yes, I think they can, at least to a certain extent. I've seen deer react to it too many times to believe that they are totally colorblind.
Old 11-02-2002, 12:50 PM

In that article I talked about on my previous post. It says that it looks like a large block of a black or grey, and that looks unnatural. The professor in the article said that in states where a a broken up pattern is better so you don't look like a single block of grey or black. The professor in the article is Karl Miller who is a professor at UGA being from GA I have heard of him, and apparently if anyone knows deer it is him.
Old 11-02-2002, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah mharris, I read that article too. What he says makes a lot of sense and I agree with him on the color thing. He is supossed to be one of the best Whitetail Biologists in the world.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:23 PM

I walked out into an open field last year, to my surprise there was a few does 20-25 yards from me just coming over the fense line. I frozed in the open field. I had camo on and a blaze orange vest. The deer new something was wrong and got nervous, however they went about thier business. It wasn't until I got tired standing there and tried to lay down that they spoked and left the area.