Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 11-01-2002, 07:14 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-12-2002, 11:04 AM

Default RE: Should I have kept the meat?

I see nobody answered you on this. The same thing happened to my brother in law last sat, he hit a 6 pt at 5 pm,couldn't find his arrow or a blood trail.He looked with a flashlite for 2 hrs,no sign.Sunday morn 3 of us went back out at 7am.at 930 am we found it not 100 yds from where it was shot in tree tops,slashings that had been timbered.The arrow hit the shoulder blade and did not go through the deer,but hit the heart or lung.Any way the temp.was 60 overnite,the deer was stiff as a board and swelled up.We tried gutting it but the smell was too bad so we pulled it away from his stand and left it..we hated doing that but the deer had been dead 16 hrs .It can happen to the best of us...You can't even let a gutted deer hang 16 hrs. in 60-65 deg weather..Regards CBall
Old 11-12-2002, 11:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Depends on temp. If it was rather cool all night, keep it. If it was warm, say a few good words and burry it.

St. Steven with a rose, in and out of the garden he goes.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Nope, if it was that warm, I wouldnt. How cold was it at night? 60 degrees or was that the next day? If it was that hot, the meat was more than likely spoiled. Not sure, if he looked bad I would have buried him too.

Starrman

Ron Starr
Old 11-12-2002, 11:46 AM

You could of taken the hips and shoulders. That meat would still be good.

Old 11-12-2002, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

No way would I keep any of the meat. Especially in warmer weather and especially in a gut shot deer, bacteria from the gut will move to ALL muscles in the body starting in about 4-6 hours. Lose some sleep over it and hope for better results next time.

Also, I would always count this animal as one of my legal quota. In other words if I am allowed 1 buck/year and this was a buck, I would not let myself shoot another buck that year. I would have already taken my quota, whether or not I could eat it.
Old 11-12-2002, 12:32 PM

No. Not at that temperature.

If it crawls it falls, if it flies it dies.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:05 PM

No!not if it was stiff (first sign of rigamortice-sp)
Drag it up and hunt yotes that nite w/ lights-lots of fun!!

If It Dont Kill You - It Will Only Make You Stronger!
Steve
Old 11-12-2002, 07:34 PM

I have to disagree, I think the meat was fine. I have found many deer the next mourning in temps like that, and not butchered them until that afternoon and the meat was fine.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:29 PM

i prolly wouldnt have kept it...if its stiff, that sounds pretty gross. maybe you could cut it open and if it smelled not kept it. i dunno.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.