Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Using scent for the first time,  need suggestions >

Using scent for the first time, need suggestions

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Using scent for the first time, need suggestions

Old 11-01-2002, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Using scent for the first time, need suggestions

Well I am going to be using scent for the first time this year. Usually I just rely going scent free but thought I would give it a try this year and wanted to know how everyone uses their scent? I will be using either the Gold Estrus or the Leathal Weapon scent. I purchased some of those wicks you can hang in the bush. How does everyone use their scent? Does anyone use the wicks you can hang up? I hunt in an area where my buddies and I usually go out the night before opener and set up our portable stands, so we dont have to haul them in the woods in the morning. Should I put my scent out the night before? Or should I put it out in the morning when I get out there? How does everyone use their scent too?

Starrmann

Ron Starr
Old 11-01-2002, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Using scent for the first time, need suggestions

I would say that you want to wait until you are in the stand before setting any scent out, and you also want to take it with you when you leave... Deer can pinpoint where a scent is coming from, and you don't want a deer to walk up to that scent wick and figure out something is up when you are not there.... But I have had good luck with this hopefully you will do the same... Also try dragging one tied to your boot behind you... and refresh is every so often cause deer can also tell which way something is walking... and just hang it in a tree 30 yards away when you get to your stand site... This works wonders especially if you have to cross any trails to get to your stand... Good Luck...