Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Qustion about solar panels

Old 06-21-2006, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Qustion about solar panels

Will solar panels work on a energizer battery with the copper springs?
Old 06-21-2006, 07:24 PM
Spike

Default RE: Qustion about solar panels

Your question is much too vague. First off is the battery rechargeable? Do not even think of connecting any kind of charging device to a battery thatis not rechargeable!!! Second, what is the voltage rating of the battery and the solar panel you would like to use. Third, what is the output power of the panel (how many watts). What is the capacity of the battery (amp hours). There are alot of things to consider before trying this. If you are trying to charge a lantern style battery that is an energizer battery, I am not awarethat energizer makes a rechargeable battery like this, so NO, do not hook up the solar panel to the battery.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Qustion about solar panels

Lifeguard is spot on , never try to recharge a dry cell battery , alkaline or otherwise .
I'm presuming you have a feeder that takes a 6 volt square lantern battery , most do . In that case get a solar panel from the company that makes your particular model , or from a source that clearly states what they are rated for .

Example:
I have an American Hunter "barrel on legs" style feeder , it takes a 6 volt lantern battery and has an option for a solar panel . It didn't come with either , so I bought a 6 volt rechargeable battery from Sportsman's Guide for $10 , and a solar panel rated for 6 volts peak output for $20 from Bass Proshops . American Hunter sells both , but didn't have the lowest price , the other two sources generally have them all year around . Problem resolved .