Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Buying a Scope: Best value in Optics right now? >

Buying a Scope: Best value in Optics right now?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buying a Scope: Best value in Optics right now?

Old 06-20-2006, 03:02 AM

Default Buying a Scope: Best value in Optics right now?

I got a new remington 7600 I need scope and rings.I want rings where I can use the iron sights in brush areas. Can a good scope be had for $50-$100?

What makes and models arethe best scope for the money right now?

thank you
Old 06-20-2006, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buying a Scope: Best value in Optics right now?

I'd check out Sightron II, Bushnell Elite 3200 and Burris Fullfield.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:05 AM

I just bought a Bushnell Legend in 4-12x40 for $91.00 on ebay. It's a beautiful scope, very clear and bright. 91% light transmission and 3 1/2 eye relief. I took it to the range on Fathers Day and was shooting groups the size of a quarter at 200 yards. A very nice scope. I also looked at the Bushnell Trophy and liked what I saw. It's a step lower than the Legend though. If you are looking for a 3-9x40 then you will have no problem for that price range. What I did was go to a sporting goods store and look at the Bushnells and simmons or prostaff and see which one you like. Then go from there. I would check ebay though, for sure.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just want to say there are a lot of good looking scopes out there today and some seem very clear and brigbt and cost 100.00 or less in some cases. And I bought and used many of them for years. But I replaced them every couple of years too. I love a Tasco World class Scope 3-9 but I have gone through 5 of them in 10 years. So my suggestion to you is get a good scope it is really cheaper in the long run Simmons,Tasco,Bushnell,BSA are all low end scopes that are fine for a couple years but none of them stand the test of time. Oh I know that some folks are going to tell you I have oneand have owned it for X amount of years and had no problems. Few and far between.
A good scope can be gotten for between $200.00 and $300.00 like Nikons Buckmaster or Lupoles VSll now mind you these are not the top of the line but they are good scopes that will (if not abused) last you a life time. Now thats just my 2 cents. Good luck with what ever you get. Mike
Old 06-20-2006, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

50 to 100$ isnt much to sepend on a scope. Its your budget and i know its rough coming up with the cash for a new scope. I left a rifle in the closet for 2 years until i could get a good scope. The optics will make or break your hunting. Low light, early morning, evenings..........plus clarity when looking at a distance. I think the cheapest i'd go is like a nikon or leupold for 229$, sometimes 199$ on sale. Leupold rings and mounts are 50$, but you wont be sorry or have to replace it. I have never had any luck with the 50 and 60$ Bushnells or simmons scopes. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

To tell you the truth,unless you find a super buy,the $100 and less scopes aren't overly great in the optics department and they aren't nearly as durable as the higher quality scopes.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

A wise old man once told me that unless you are willing to spend equal amounts of money on the optics and the rifle you are cheating yourself. Of course I didn't belive him at first, but over time I have realized that he was absolutely right. Another wise old man told me that if you buy the best you only cry once. Truer words have never been spoken.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

No matter what anyone says about Bushnell, their Elite line of scopes are excellent. They are backed by a lifetime warranty and have a "one year, no questions asked" guarantee. These scopes are extremely bright and clear. I picked up an Elite 3200, 3-9x40 in matte finish 2 years ago for $165+ tax. Natchez Shooters Supply was selling them for about the same price last year.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't add to much to what others have said.I to am a believer in purchasing the best optics you can afford.Outdoor life just did a review of rifle scopes.I think the best value was a Nikon and it was not that expensive.I also have a Bushnell elite 3200 on a muzzleloader and have had an elite 4200 on another rifle and they are both excellant scopes with life time warranties.
One of my deer rifles wears a Zeiss conquest($400 at the time)and the other wears a Leuoplod Var III also about $400 at the time.
You are likely better off with an inexpensive rifle and an expensive scope than the other way around.
Check out ebay there are some great values to be had there.Good luck to you!
Old 06-20-2006, 05:10 PM

I don't know about spending as much on optics as you did the gun, but cheap scopes are a toss up. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you don't. And good optics (lenses and clarity) cost money.

I would assume this is a high powered rifle. I would shy away from most $100 scopes. Maybe a bushnell trophy, but I couldn't whole heartedly suggest that model in higher powers.

Know if you bumped your price up to $200 and stuck with a 3-9x40 type scope there are quite a few good ones. Maybe even a bit cheaper if you are buying on line.

Paul

Quick Reply: Buying a Scope: Best value in Optics right now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.