Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do deer mind the smell of smoke? >

Do deer mind the smell of smoke?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do deer mind the smell of smoke?

Old 06-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Do deer mind the smell of smoke?

I was told that deer do not mind the smell of campfire somke on your clothes. What do ya'll think about this?
Old 06-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Do deer mind the smell of smoke?

ORIGINAL: Patriot15

I was told that deer do not mind the smell of campfire somke on your clothes. What do ya'll think about this?
Not at all! Not here in FL anyway! We do alot of burn off's and they are used to the smell.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

I heard that the way they make there cloths scent free is to put them next to a campfire.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Patriot15

I heard that the way they make there cloths scent free is to put them next to a campfire.
Yep! Wrap them up in pieces oflighter pine also!
Old 06-15-2006, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

I know several people that smoke cigaretteswhile on stand and have killed some nice deer too.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I smoke a few ciggs while on stand and I believe that it's the movements associated with smoking that gets a hunter busted more than the smell of the smoke itself. Isee deer nearly every time I'm in the woods and often they are close.Come on, Oct 1st!
Old 06-15-2006, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Remember, as scentless as possible...look at this way, if your neighbor's cloths smell like campfire and he's busting deer, you can bet the deer associate that smell with danger. Same goes for cover scents like raccoon, skunk, fox or what not. If you have a slob hunter busting deer smelling the same, deer will learn the scent is danger....if your as scentless as possilbe, you stand a better chance.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Scentless is the way to go.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Fork Horn

I've had better luck scentless. We have camp fires and what not, but I still don't think they like it in areas they know it is not suppose to be. I've hunted with friends who smoke and never see a thing. Next few times I tell him not to smoke and put scent-away or scent killer on and we see way more deer.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Exactly how do you determine what smells an individual deer has learned to associate with danger ? How "scentless" are you to an animal that can smell nearly anything from up to a mile , and can analyze up to six different odors simultaneously ? What if a smell triggers their curiosity response instead ?

I used to smoke on stand , hunt with beer breath , dip , and a lot of other bad habits . I saw deer most of those times , frequently at close range with the wind in their favor . Some spooked , some didn't . There's no way to predict how a deer will react to an odor , or any realistic and consistant way to defend against odor spooking them other than having the wind in your face . Trying to be "scent free" is a turd hunt at best and completely unrealistic when you're hunting an animal that can smell you farting from over a mile , and probably hear it too .

Every shot opportunity that I've ever lost was due to:
A) Movement
B) Noise
In that order . I've probably missed some deer due to odor , but since I never saw them they weren't losses . Losses occur when the deer is close and detected but you don't get to shoot , in those cases the deer was better at the game we love than you were . Take your lumps and smile , I do .

Quick Reply: Do deer mind the smell of smoke?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.