Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Longest Shot You Would Take

Old 10-31-2002, 09:56 AM

Default Longest Shot You Would Take

Just a quick question for the board. I hear a lot of people talk about 200 yard shots and in some cases 300. What does everyone think is the reasonable distance?

In my opinion only, I think my maximum is 100 yards. I would not take a 200 yd shot because I think the odds of me just wounding a deer are higher. If I saw a deer at 200, I would either trey to movein closer or try to call it in.

Just wondering what every one else thinks.

Old 10-31-2002, 10:00 AM

Default RE: Longest Shot You Would Take

Sorry, but I was also curious about the longest bow shot as well.
Old 10-31-2002, 10:01 AM
Dominant Buck

It all depends on the gun. With my 30-06 I have it sighted in at 200 yards. I have shot deer with it at200 to about 300. I will only take a shot like that if I have a good brace to prop up on. My 22 250 could take deer at even a further range. I have not shot any over 250 to 300 range with it. As for my 30 30 I will not try over 100 to 150 yards. The longest I have ever taken with a 30 30 is 130 yards.

Lifes a garden, dig it.

Edited by - burniegoeasily on 10/31/2002 11:05:05
Old 10-31-2002, 10:02 AM
Dominant Buck

As for bows, I have not taken any over 40 yards. I have seen my brother take one at about 60 yards, I was impressed. I dont even set a pin over 45 yards.

Lifes a garden, dig it.
Old 10-31-2002, 10:07 AM

With my 30/30 I usually won't shoot more than 125 yards and even that is a stretch for me I practice at 50, 75 & 100 yards and can hit a paper plate consistently. As far as longer shoots some other rifles can handle the farther distances with plenty of energy to spare. I say if you can practice the longer distances and hit the target 200 is no problem. I prefer to stick within my ability range. With a bow 30 yards is my maximum I would shoot. Practice is what should determine your own comfort zone don't shoot if you think maybe I can make it only if you know you can. IMHO Trying longer ranges while hunting is not responsible hunting that is what the ranges are for.
Old 10-31-2002, 10:14 AM
Dominant Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Trying longer ranges while hunting is not responsible hunting that is what the ranges are for. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
I agree. Practice is the key. I live in the sticks, and reload my own, so I get to practice all the time.

Lifes a garden, dig it.
Old 10-31-2002, 10:22 AM

Cableguy, I agree. The hunt is not the time that you should be trying a distance you've never shot at a range. My gun is sighted in at 200 and I group within 5 inches at that distance from a free hold braced. Since I also hunt moose, that distance is in my comfort zone for those brutes, because the target is three to four times the size of deer. But, in keeping with my question, I know that I can hit that 200 yd target at the range with no distractions, but in the field? I have yet to harvest a deer, so I don't know what is really going to happen, but, with my first moose I was so excited I missed my first 2 shots at 100 yds because I was shaking so bad. Deer might put me over the deep end. Especially if it is my buddy I saw last year.

Old 10-31-2002, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

You are right on target. With your attitude! Know your limitations and work within them. It's great to hear guys with your attitude of wanting a quick, clean kill. No wounded animals running off on you.
If you can't hit the boiler room you have to pass unless you can get closer or get them closer. Try to always have some markers in your mind in your hunting area that you can use to judge distance. (i.e., I know that tree stump is 100 yards out, that dead fall is 75 yards, etc. ...).

For practice, no matter what the distance or weapon, you get the best targets in the paper goods aisle at the grocery store-a paper plate.
That's right, a paper plate. No matter what distance you shoot at it from, it's the same size. The size of a whitetails boiler room!

Now.....&quot;Go Get Ya One!&quot;
Old 10-31-2002, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

I also agree. PRACTICE what you feel comfortable with. If you can shoot good, go for the longer shots if you are in an area that allows you to shoot that far. I personally only set my sights in on my scope for 100 yards and I find that a challange, but in the areas I hunt, I would not get a clear shot over 100 yards. I hunt in some thick brush and will usually only have a shot between 0 to 50 yards, and 100 yards if I was lucky. Just shoot in range what you feel comfortable with. It depends on your situation. Theres my cent worth.

Starrman

Ron Starr
Old 10-31-2002, 10:29 AM

with my .357, and a good rest, 50yards is fine. anylonger and it is pushing the cartridge a little. 2handed and the range is shortened a little bit but not too much

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Quick Reply: Longest Shot You Would Take

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.