Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Longest Shot You Would Take

Old 10-31-2002, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Longest Shot You Would Take

Fungunn, I declined at first but just had too. I think you know exactly what you need and can do...that is the battle. Yes here we can hunt that same thicket or move to farmland and hunt fields, coulees...well really you name it. I would say most of my shots even still are under 200 yards. I think scouting, know the area...homework is the best advantage. I would hate to have to rely on my ability to dial 1 and the area code on every shot.

Bluesranger, in your description, I would aim for the neck and call her good. Even though I don't like neck shots, 30 feet with a 30/30, I think that would be my shot. You can do the back and exit brisket trick, but may get deflection, etc.

Old 10-31-2002, 12:29 PM

Distance should depend on shooting ability and gun. I just got back from Wyoming and took a nice antelope at 400+ yards with a .243 loading with 100 grain noslers. Had no problems even though most people would argue with me on this gun being enough at that distance.

That being said you also have to take into consideration that I have shot this gun over 4000 rounds at praire dogs out to 500+ yards and am disappointed at missing a 400 yard shot.

I had a great rest and a standing broadside shot so there were other considerations as well. Would I have taken the shot offhand, no. Kneeling, no. With a rest, sure anytime.

I do have great respect for the hunters who know thier capabilities and stick to them. I think anyone who passes up a shot they are unsure of is a great hunter and would be welcome around my camp anytime.

" Anyone can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a Dad"
Old 10-31-2002, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

depends where you are comfortable shooting...for me 200-300 hundred yards doesnt seem far...my deer rifle is sighted in at 50 though..because i hunt thickets..but i know my shooting and would be comforable with certain guns to take deer at 200-300 yrds..maybe farther if i practiced shooting far..

Old 10-31-2002, 05:50 PM

I feel that 300 is at the very extent of my range in perfect weather with no wind and a good solid rest. That is with my .270 bolt action. I don't think I would try much over 250 yards with my Browning BAR .30-06. Someone said something about shooting deer with a .22-250 at 300 yards, will that gun have enough knock down power at that range? I don't think I would shoot a deer with a .22 caliber rifle period. I think they are outlawed in some states for deer aren't they?
Old 11-01-2002, 03:46 AM

The longest shot I have ever made with a gun was 250 yard's across a corn field but now were I hunt it's a thick cedar swamp and 60 yard's would be the fartherest,With my bow 30 yard's is it,I have made a 70 yard shot on a nice buck and got a good hit and he fell 20 yard's from were i shot him but even though i got him i will never do it again way's on the mind to much, what if question
Old 11-01-2002, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

smokepoledoug, you are right. The 22-250 Rem shouldn't be used on deer sized game to begin with, much less at 300 yards. It just doesn't have the energy or knockdown.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

Almost everyone here has already said it ... know your limitations.

Here's a personal story: I went on a Wyoming antelope hunting trip with my dad and his friend when I was 16. That year I was shooting an old Remington 780 in a .243 caliber. I was at the rifle range several times a week finding the perfect load. For me, that practice paid off. That antelope was quartered away from me when I shot him at 400 yards with a 4x scope. My bullet placement was exactly where I intended for it to go. He immediately dropped in his tracks.

Lately, I don't spend near as much time at the rifle range (with kids and all), and there's no way I would take that shot again today... but that just shows what knowing your limitations and practice can do.
Old 11-01-2002, 08:13 AM

In West Va, when I use to gun hunt years ago, I killed over 20 deer with a .222 savage(centerfire cartridge). Most times they dropped on site or a few yards away. Shot placement is critical with no matter what equipment you use.
Now for a bow, I'll shoot 30 and under in a heart beat. More if the conditions are perfect (no wind, laser rangefinder, calm target, etc) I shoot the bow almost everyday and 3-D's late winter and all spring and summer. I'm confident with my equipment.

Edited by - jetblast on 11/01/2002 09:15:55

Edited by - jetblast on 11/02/2002 11:08:22
Old 11-01-2002, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I have experience with the 22-250. It is my favorite varmint cartridge and I did try it on deer when I was yound and stupid. 22 centerfires are varmint cartridges, not deer cartridges. End of story.
Old 11-01-2002, 09:16 AM

Disagree. I've used it too many times.

Quick Reply: Longest Shot You Would Take

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.