HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   land ownership (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/143582-land-ownership.html)

Medic 05-27-2006 08:26 PM

RE: land ownership

I have a house and 50 acres 30+ miles away but always looking;)you really should not pass that up. IMO. I have a standing order for 225 more that my brother in law has (his grand father died and he got it). I would sell a kidney to get more Land!! Just remember GOD ain't making no more land! BUT THAT IS JUST ME.

Good luck to you no matter what you decide.

Grasshopper13 05-27-2006 11:06 PM

25,000 for 100 acres is a great price. Unless there's a nuclear waste dump adjoining it!:DYou can't go wrong buying land, but you really need to be careful about the legal agreements. I have heard too many stories about buddies going in together on hunting ground, only to have them end up disagreeing on how to best use or manage it. You need to get all that straight beofre you put up the money.

GH

timbercruiser 05-28-2006 07:43 AM

I see a couple of problems. I wouldn't go in a partnership on a piece of land with anybody. I would definitely have at least a 40 foot easement, and you need to look at the area to make sure it is a feasible route for unencumberedingress/egress. The last and most important, can you afford to commit financially to the land purchase. Good luck.

cardeer 05-29-2006 04:33 PM

Cheap buy it or I will

Howler 05-29-2006 08:19 PM

Having the chance to own and hunt your own land is a great feeling. BUT before buying into a partnership, thereshould be a lawyer involved, even though I hate lawyers, and there would be a time that my partners in ownership and I sat down with the lawyer and had all the details put into writing, and having all said partners sign the agreement. And, I'd make darn sure, again, may have to have the lawyer varify and get in writing, the part about the "verbal agreement easement" part of the deal. When I bought my last two pieces of ground, I paid for title insurance, and it turns out that I got my moneys worth on the second piece, as there were discrepences from the past owners/transactions of the land.
As was said before, land is a great investment, if you can afford to buy it, and can but it at a resonable current market value!

Kamil 05-29-2006 08:23 PM

lets see 100=$25,000....for $25,000 over here you can't even get 2 acres of good hunting land...buy the land...a long term investment is always a good choice

buttonbuckmaster 05-29-2006 08:38 PM

Just remember,it doesn't matter how cheap it isif you can't make the payments. I could have bought 40 acres of prime hunting ground that was in the family for over 100 years. The bank would loan me the money, but I knew I couldn't swing it. Still ticks me off to see other people hunting on my grandpas old ground...oh well. If you can swing the payments, do it!! If you can't without adding a second or third job....let it pass.

Lanse couche couche 05-30-2006 09:14 AM

A few years ago I had a chance to buy 40 acres of mixed agricultural land and woods for 1400 an acre. At the time, I didn't think I could afford it, and turned it down. Three years later i start off every day by mentally kicking myself for not taking the plunge because the value has nearly doubled since then. If it looks good to a lawyer, then go for it.

NavyDeerHunter 06-16-2006 11:00 AM

That type of land here in Southern Maryland is between 16,000.00 and 18,000.00 per acre. I just met with a guy last week that wanted $250,000.00 for 15 acres.By time I put a home on it it would be well over half a mil. It's mostlywooded and would be geat hunting, but like others have said...you have to be able to make the payments.

kevin1 06-16-2006 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL:tschaef
One friend called it a no brainer, buy the land, and I agree, I desperately want a piece to call my own. On the other hand, I'm 30+ yrs oldrenting a basement, I would love to get laser eye surgery, and my teeth could use some aesthetic work. On top of that this land is a 2 1/2hr drive one way.

Tschaef , if you can get 100 acres of prime deer land for $4,000 per acre then do it , you can always put a home onit later and hunt the rest . The way Ontario land is appreciating you'll never have this chance again . Squint and don't show your teeth when you smile , but get that loan ! You snooze , you lose .