Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

grunt calls

Old 10-29-2002, 02:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Default grunt calls

I have never used a grunt call. The most I have ever done is rattle. How do you use a grunt call and when? In your oppinion is it effective? Im interested, I know no one who uses one. I am always up for new tricks, any help would be appreciated.

Lifes a garden, dig it.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: grunt calls

Like AMEX don't leave home without it!

I say very useful, if you have one call a grunt tube is the one to have. I don't blind call, except when rattlin'. I use it as a sight call,(visual on a deer). I use it to get them to stop(for shot or a good look at the rack), come closer, etc. It works to stop any deer (does, fawns, bucks). When rattling I will end my sequence with 3 short low toned grunts.

Easy to use for sure, basically just blow or inhale for a tone vary. I like the ones with the tube on the end or extender. My fav is the widow maker, but can't really find it here anymore. I have freinds that use the True Talker, Knight and Hale EZ Grunter plus and Ridge something(?). These ones all sound pretty close and good. You can buy ones with a rubber band that allow you to make different sounds (ie true talker). Personally i just use the grunt on my widow maker and the other calls I mimic by mouth.

Old 10-29-2002, 08:17 PM

I use a true talker, and I really like it. I usually just sight call, but I have blind called one in before. I have only hunted a couple of times this year, and I have just got a doe so far, but I stopped a spike, and the doe that I shot with the true talker. I used the doe bleat on the spike and the grunt on the doe. It says that you can get any sound fawn, doe bleat, young buck, buck, and old buck. I can't get all of these, but I usually just pick a spot in the middle, and move my finger up a little on the end of the grunt. I never grunt more than three times in a row, and I usually just grunt once or twice. If I blind call I will grunt once or twice every ten to fifteen minutes or longer.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get the "True Talker with video.I made a young doe think my decoy was real and called in two bucks with it.

Hunting is not a sport,it's a lifestyle.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:59 AM
Dominant Buck

I see, so I need to use a grunt to stop or bring in deer on sight, or to use along with rattling. I rattle for about 30 to 40 sec. wait about an hour and rattle agian. So I can use a grunt to end my rattling.

One more question. Can you use a grunt when the rut is not on.

Lifes a garden, dig it.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use an A-Way grunt call.The tube pins on your jacket(I pin mine at my side pointing behind me)and the mouthpiece pins on my jacket collar.It's an inhale only call and totally hands free.