Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 When did you really feel, OK, now I think I know what I'm doing? >

When did you really feel, OK, now I think I know what I'm doing?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When did you really feel, OK, now I think I know what I'm doing?

Old 05-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: When did you really feel, OK, now I think I know what I'm doing?

ORIGINAL: Mike Hill

Well I started hunting when I was 12 and I'm 52 now and every year I can't get over how much I didn't know the year before. If your not learning somthing every year your not doing somthing right. If you think you know it all when it comes to deer hunting I feel bad for you as that only menans your never going to get any better. Mike
Preach , brother , preach !

I didn't really feel competant until around my fifth year , and by thenas Iwatched the white flags disappearing into the cover I more often found myself smiling and thinking:
"Nicely played. Next time my friend , next time ..."

I went on to score my first deer in year #6 .
Old 05-22-2006, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dirt2

This question is a loaded one. Like others have mentioned, once you start believing you've got it figured out, you probably aren't going to get any better. There's always something to learn, case in point:

I just bought a plant guide and started running around in the woods identifying browse plants. I just called it all "bushes" in the past. Wow has it made me realize how little I knew, not just about plants, but about the deer. Already, I am starting to see the "why" ofdeer movementmuch more clearly than I had in the past.
This was never meant to be a loaded question. Experience breeds knowledge and the more we learn the more comfortable we feel in any environment. I was simply asking at what point did you "think" you knew what you were doing.

To me, it was obvious the first day I ever stepped into the deer woods, I did not think I knew what I was doing. As a few years past, I became more experienced, in my understanding of deer and deer hunting.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's a good question. Like others, I learn something everytime I go out in the woods. The day you think you have it all figured out is the day you stop learning (same as everything in life).
That being said, there is a moment where you have a good grasp of what you are doing out there. It was probably in my 5th year of hunting when it seemed "different" to me. Better understanding of sign and why it's there instead of it just being there. Better understanding of stand location and cover, wind, scent, overhunting, patterning a particular animal, entering and exiting the woods without being patterned yourself, SCOUTING, etc.... All the essentials involved in hunting seemed to have come together at once for me about 5 years into it. I think it's a point where you can say I am hunting instead of going out hunting.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

I have been in the woods, hunting/shooting since I was about 10. BB gun, pellet rifle, .22, 20 ga. - I read lots of magazines and books on hunting, and talked to my dad about deer hunting each year when he'd go. By the time I was 16, I figured I knew pretty well what was what. THEN - I went deer hunting myself.
1st year, I shot at a doe as it bounded past about 10 yards away. She was so close, I figured I didn't even need touse the sights(wrong).
2nd year, I hunted with a couple of high school buddies, and between us we counted 157 deer in two days - but for some reason, we came home empty-handed.
3rd year, I shot my first deer - a small 6 pointer that walked up to me while I was stoking a small fire in front of me (dumb luck).
That was 41 years ago, and I'm still learning - and love every minute of it!

IM jaybe
Old 05-22-2006, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

NY Bowhunter stated it very well.You never have it all figured out and those instances that you have that wave of over confidence something will happen to you to bring you back to earth or humble you.The constant learning is so much of the enjoyment and challenge.The last several years for me has been the time that I have felt the most confident.It just seemed that everything came together.It is more fun now then ever! The old saying "luck is where hard work meets opportunity" would definitely apply.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

I didn't mean my comment as a criticism, just that it really is a loaded question. I like your questions!
Old 05-23-2006, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

The morning that I woke up and my wife and 3 daughters were...Well it was "that time of month"....they were at each others throats....I told the wife....I'm going deer hunting...loaded up my truck and left for a few days....
Old 05-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been at it for the vast majority of my life (20 out of 26 years andof course there was/is a lot of help from dad) and I am still learning and adjusting stands every season. I have never felt like I have got it perfect. My dad and I were talking about how every year is a learning experience.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: cardeer

i NEVER HAVE.I ALWAYS QUESTION MYSELF 24-7 OVER EVERYTHING
Same here!
Old 05-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

I felt ok with what I was doing after the first time I successfully field dressed a deer by myself.

Quick Reply: When did you really feel, OK, now I think I know what I'm doing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.