Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What approach would you take?

Old 05-07-2006, 08:51 PM

Default What approach would you take?

This season im going to be bow and rifle hunting on a friends land. I have seen two very impressive bucks but im not quite sure how to get them. The land is covered with many cedar trees and has two large canyons that lead to a pond, but they are filled with cedars and that is the area where i have seen the bucks. there is also a large draw that has a couple of trees sutiable for a tree stand but the deer often bed down at the thickets around these trees. this draw also leads down to a wheat field.

Im thinking i should wait on the edge of the wheat and at the ends of the canyons leading to the pond. but the deer in that area really have no consistant trails to the feed or the pond. Ive also thought about putting a small food plot at the back of the property around where i see these bucks and setting up a blind around that.

This is my first year bowhunting and i was wondering ifyou all have any ideas that might work a little better. any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:10 AM

Default RE: What approach would you take?

What time of the day have you seen them?? Andthis should be a clue when to hunt them and where to set up a stand up...
Old 05-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would just make mental notes of any activity I see now. The sign and activity you see today will certainly change when the food source changes with the approach of Autumn.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Look for them funnels. Are you still hunting in Kansas?
Old 05-08-2006, 09:20 PM

Yea im still hunting in Kansas. I seem them on the wheat either a little before sunset and after the sun is down. I go out there often just to sit up on some of the hills but i really cant see alot of the area because the cedars are so thick.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

They will be in them cedars this fall to stay out of that wind. Sounds like you have a great spot but it is hard to tell you where to set up without a picture. Go to Google Earth and see if you can get a topical view of your spot to show us.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

I would watch what they do, find out where they bed, find most used trails, use trail cameras, and find out where they go to feed before making a decision. Their patterns will probably change with the seasons.Personally I wouldchoose a spot somewhere around the water in between where they bed and where they feed. Good luck.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:06 PM

heres the best i could get of the land. and thats supposed to be draw that leads to the pond

Old 05-14-2006, 04:02 AM
Fork Horn

Try finding a location with decent view of the pond. Water source is agood location to waite. Good luck
Old 05-14-2006, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say set up in a stand near the pond in view of the wheat. Water and food you can't go wrong. Like has been said the pattern will change with the season, you have plenty of time to scout the surrounding area. Look for alternate food sources, trails, etc. I personally would try to stay away from the bedding area.

Quick Reply: What approach would you take?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.