Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
When is the rut in north centeral Texas >

When is the rut in north centeral Texas

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When is the rut in north centeral Texas

Old 10-28-2002, 06:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Default When is the rut in north centeral Texas

I have been hunting this land in north centeral Texas for about 3 years. The rut has started the last two years in November, and two years ago it was late Dec. I was able to rattle up big bucks in Nov. for the last two years. The year before that They didnt respond until late Dec. Does any one know, on the average, when the rut in these parts kicks off good. I have been noticing lots of scrapes and rubs. I havent seen any bucks paying any attention to does yet. Im just curiouse when these guys are going to start chasing does.

I also have a question, I have been rattleing for only 5 years, will it spook the deer if you rattle before the rut?

Lifes a garden, dig it.

Edited by - burniegoeasily on 10/28/2002 07:44:07
Old 10-28-2002, 07:57 AM

Default RE: When is the rut in north centeral Texas

Burnie,
I hunt in Young County and can tell you that the last two years the rut occured aroung the second week of November. Last year we hunted November 15 thru 18 and saw bucks chasing does every day. My son killed a nice 11 point that came into Code Blue Doe in Estrous. Two years ago, was the worst and last of the drought in our area and I think the deer rutted late due to the weather. This weekend (Youth Weekend) we saw three bucks. All of them came to feeders and ate, all were in great shape and none appeared to be in rut. We have found numerous rubs and a couple of scrapes although the scrapes are not being worked vary hard yet. According to an article I read a couple of weeks back, the peak of the rut should be around November 15. I have hunted this area for years and can tell you that the rut typically occurs then every year unless the weather is extremely unusual. If the weather stays cool and cloudy, I think the deer will be moving well this next weekend and hopefully the rut kicks in shortly afterward. I will start using scents and rattling once I see bucks chasing/following does. Good Luck, Allen
Old 10-28-2002, 08:24 AM
Dominant Buck

ntexhunter
were practicaly neibors. I live in Knox County. I hunt Jones county and Kent. I went out bow hunting Sat. I say many rubs and scrapes (big ones) but saw no bucks. I saw a couple of does but not much movement with the bucks. It was a little windy in Kent county. I think that is why the deer did not move very well. Im looking forward to this opening season. It looks like it will be a good one.

Lifes a garden, dig it.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:40 AM

www.tpwd.state.tx.us/hunt/rutchrono/bredchr1.htm
Burnie, this is from the TP&W website. I hope it helps. It's not always accurate, but I think it's a worthwhile guide. Good luck to you this season.

Edited by - GoTres on 10/28/2002 09:47:29
Old 10-28-2002, 08:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Go Tres.

Lifes a garden, dig it.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:27 PM

i was in erath county last weekend at the rust had started. we watched 2 bucks chasing the same doe. the bucks finally squared off back in the woods and we did not see them again.
Old 10-31-2002, 06:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Glad to here it. I havent been out in a week, so Ill try a little rattleing tomorrow. It couldnt hurt. I think this cold weather will help. I cant remember it being this cold for this long at this time of the year. I just wish the rain would slow down a little.

Thanks to all of you for your advice.

Lifes a garden, dig it.